Appalling


John 13:1-20
1Now before the Feast of the Passover, when Jesus knew that his hour had come to depart out of this world to the Father, having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end. 2During supper, when the devil had already put it into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, to betray him, 3Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going back to God, 4rose from supper. He laid aside his outer garments, and taking a towel, tied it around his waist. 5Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet and to wipe them with the towel that was wrapped around him. 6He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Lord, do you wash my feet?” 7Jesus answered him, “What I am doing you do not understand now, but afterward you will understand.” 8Peter said to him, “You shall never wash my feet.” Jesus answered him, “If I do not wash you, you have no share with me.” 9Simon Peter said to him, “Lord, not my feet only but also my hands and my head!” 10Jesus said to him, “The one who has bathed does not need to wash, except for his feet, but is completely clean. And you are clean, but not every one of you.” 11For he knew who was to betray him; that was why he said, “Not all of you are clean.” 12When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments and resumed his place, he said to them, “Do you understand what I have done to you? 13You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am. 14If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. 15For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you. 16Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them. 18I am not speaking of all of you; I know whom I have chosen. But the Scripture will be fulfilled, ‘He who ate my bread has lifted his heel against me.’ 19I am telling you this now, before it takes place, that when it does take place you may believe that I am he. 20Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever receives the one I send receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me.”

I have spoken of it before and will most likely speak of it again. Imagine what happened inside the minds of the Disciples as they pieced together their experiences with Jesus after witnessing His death and resurrection. Imagine seeing Jesus ascend into heaven remembering that this same Jesus is the One who knelt to wash your feet. In that moment I would be undone. We can totally relate to the words of Peter. “Nope. You will not wash my feet.” I would have said the same thing. I can’t even put myself into that position and for that I must confess to the sin of pride, for it is not humility that keeps me from that place but pride. To think of the Lord of glory on His knees before my ugliness is too much. The lesson is so easy to grasp and so difficult to emulate.

In this one instance Jesus teaches a lesson on service and humility that strikes right at the core of our being. I think that this example is so startling because it pokes us right in that tender spot of self-preservation and self-exaltation. Ever since Adam and Eve fell into sin we strive to be on top. We strive to “be like God” and washing feet is the antithesis of that attitude. Now the only Person in the universe who rightfully holds claim to authority and exaltation is setting that aside and acting as the humble slave. The only word I can think of to describe this action is appalling.

That causes me to look forward to my day and see what I will be called upon to do that will be appalling. Where might I serve in a humble and forthright manner? Who is in need of clean feet today? I believe God will present opportunities if I am open to them. I believe that in those moments, my witness to His great love is the strongest. I believe that it is Jesus’ loud call in my heart to be appalling today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door