To Do Justice


Psalm 82
A Psalm of Asaph.
1God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment:
2“How long will you judge unjustly and show partiality to the wicked? Selah
3Give justice to the weak and the fatherless; maintain the right of the afflicted and the destitute.
4Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”
5They have neither knowledge nor understanding, they walk about in darkness; all the foundations of the earth are shaken.
6I said, “You are gods, sons of the Most High, all of you;
7nevertheless, like men you shall die, and fall like any prince.”
8Arise, O God, judge the earth; for you shall inherit all the nations!

Michigan has become a “battleground” state for the soon over (Thank You, Jesus!) presidential election. That means we are currently being inundated with political commercials from both sides. It’s boring. Each side declares the other unjust and unworthy. Who are we to believe? At this point – neither. The words of this psalm, penned a few thousand years ago, show us that the human condition hasn’t changed at all. God has been warning His people for generations that He is a God of justice for all people. He words for those who would choose to serve themselves rather than the weak and needy are sharp.

The rulers are called “gods” because they are God’s representatives and receive their power from Him. This should fill those who choose to lead with a godly fear. They are His servants, chosen to lead with His authority and grace. We are all painfully aware of the fact that this often does not happen.

The prophet Micah lays it out clearly. These words are important and verse 8 is worthy of memorization.

Micah 6:6–8
6“With what shall I come before the Lord, and bow myself before God on high? Shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves a year old?
7Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams, with ten thousands of rivers of oil? Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?”
8He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Not only are the leaders to walk in a spirit of justice and mercy, I believe all of us are called to that same attitude. If I love God’s justice, I will treat people differently. If I love God’s justice and live in an attitude of mercy, I will more readily seek the good of the other rather than of myself. We are a people who walked in darkness but Jesus’ blood and righteousness brought us back into His light and He enables us to embrace His justice and mercy. I pray that I am made willing, by the power of the Spirit, to exemplify these virtues more and more with each passing day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door