I Remember Your Name in the Night



Psalm 119:49-56
49Remember your word to your servant, in which you have made me hope.
50This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life.
51The insolent utterly deride me, but I do not turn away from your law.
52When I think of your rules from of old, I take comfort, O Lord.
53Hot indignation seizes me because of the wicked, who forsake your law.
54Your statutes have been my songs in the house of my sojourning.
55I remember your name in the night, O Lord, and keep your law.
56This blessing has fallen to me, that I have kept your precepts.

One of the difficulties that beset us as we age can be sleepless nights. I had heard that idea several years ago and hoped that it wasn’t something I was going to have to face. Well, whoever told me that was right. The nights can be long and sleepless sometimes. But what I am also learning is that those hours of darkness can provide times of quiet reflection and conversation with the Lord. And if I’m honest, time to worry about the days and events ahead.

In those moments (minutes, hours) of perseveration on things I cannot control, I am often drawn back to reminding God that He is in full control and I am completely reliant upon Him. Sometimes I believe that and sometimes I don’t. But in the end, there is hope because God’s faithfulness has proven to be worthy of my trust – as if God owes me any proof! So, who is being reminded here? I am, of course. God already remembers every promise He ever made and is constantly in the business of keeping those promises. Because of that truth, I can rest easy at night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door