Redeem the Time



Ephesians 5:11-16
11Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.
12For it is shameful even to speak of the things that they do in secret.
13But when anything is exposed by the light, it becomes visible,
14for anything that becomes visible is light. Therefore it says, “Awake, O sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.”
15Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise,
16making the best use of the time, because the days are evil.

While Satan has done his best to draw us further and further away from God and His ways through evil practices and ways, his most effective weapon to date is busyness. We are utterly convinced that we are terribly, terribly busy and that belief often immobilizes us when it comes to living for God. And lest you think I’m casting stones, let me just confess – chief of sinners right here writing this blog. Even now I struggle to remain in my chair and meditate on God’s Word because a thousand things I need to get done cloud my brain. And inside I know this is not pleasing to God.

Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil.
 
These words blow my mind as I ponder how incredibly pertinent they are for all of us. We believe that the tasks we are about are so very important. The proof of that belief lies in the fact that we spend our time on them. Time – our most valuable and precious resource, for it is 100% non-renewable. Once those moments are spent, they are gone forever! So, Satan doesn’t need to tempt me into sin. He just needs to help me feel really, really busy. When that happens, he wins a small victory and that makes me sad.

Paul warns us in this passage to pay attention to our use of time for the “days are evil.” There is so much in the world that the evil one can use against us, robbing us of time spent with the Lord or with those we love (which is also time spent with the Lord!). I have a friend who lives “off the grid” in many ways. He doesn’t watch much TV and it just doesn’t seem like he wastes a great deal of time. And frankly he has my admiration for that. He hunts, builds things, and teaches people about God. The trappings of the world don’t seem quite as enticing to him, and for that I’m a little jealous. So, I know it’s possible!

Perhaps during our meditation today we could all spent some of that precious time just examining the way we spend what we have been given. Are we walking carefully and making the best use of the time? With Jesus’ help perhaps we can see ourselves not as busy, but as faithful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door