Bought or Inherited


Acts 22:22-29
22Up to this word they listened to him. Then they raised their voices and said, “Away with such a fellow from the earth! For he should not be allowed to live.”
23And as they were shouting and throwing off their cloaks and flinging dust into the air,
24the tribune ordered him to be brought into the barracks, saying that he should be examined by flogging, to find out why they were shouting against him like this.
25But when they had stretched him out for the whips, Paul said to the centurion who was standing by, “Is it lawful for you to flog a man who is a Roman citizen and uncondemned?”
26When the centurion heard this, he went to the tribune and said to him, “What are you about to do? For this man is a Roman citizen.”
27So the tribune came and said to him, “Tell me, are you a Roman citizen?” And he said, “Yes.”
28The tribune answered, “I bought this citizenship for a large sum.” Paul said, “But I am a citizen by birth.”
29So those who were about to examine him withdrew from him immediately, and the tribune also was afraid, for he realized that Paul was a Roman citizen and that he had bound him.

Cat-O-Nine Tails
Used for Flogging by the Romans


The turmoil around Paul continues. He makes his case before the people and they become outraged. It must have been quite a sight to see all those men throwing off their cloaks and tossing dirt into the air. The believed they had just heard blasphemy and it was worthy of mourning. Paul is again in the eye of the storm. Riots were not viewed lightly or kindly by the Romans and it appeared that this one was caused by Paul. Time for a flogging!



It would have been something to see. Paul is “stretched out for the whip” when he decides to tell the soldier that he is a Roman citizen. Now the centurion has a whole new problem. It is illegal to flog a Roman citizen without a trial and a conviction first. And Paul would not have lied about being a Roman citizen to avoid a beating for to do so would mean a death sentence instead. Then the most interesting conversation takes place between Paul and the tribunal.



27So the tribune came and said to him, “Tell me, are you a Roman citizen?” And he said, “Yes.”

28The tribune answered, “I bought this citizenship for a large sum.” Paul said, “But I am a citizen by birth.”



Apparently, when Claudius was emperor from AD 41 to 52, it was possible to buy citizenship. A citizen had more rights than a regular subject in the Roman Empire and for a brief 9 years, that citizenship was for sale. Clearly this man held that costly purchase in high regard. It was precious to him. Paul was granted that citizenship by virtue of his birth. As I pondered this passage today I was struck by a connection to our citizenship in the Kingdom of God. It has been purchased for me by the blood of Jesus and I have been adopted into the family of the King. My rights as citizen come by birth (adoption) and by purchase (not my own purchase). The cost to Jesus was everything. The cost to me was nothing just as being born into a family costs the infant nothing. And oh the rights that this citizenship grants me!

* I get to take up my cross and follow Jesus.


* I get to be ignored by the culture and pushed aside as a fanatic.
* I get to surrender a portion of my income to the Lord as an offering.

* I get to live a life of joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, love, and self-control.

* I get to live under the shadow of the Lord Most High as my refuge.

* I get to dwell forever with God both here and in eternity.

  
That citizenship may have cost Jesus His life but it grants me everything.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door