Interceding Spirit


Romans 8:24-27
22For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now.
23And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.
24For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees?
25But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.
26Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.
27And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.

A surprising thing has happened to me as I get older. I am less and less sure of what to pray every day. This is not a development I could have predicted. Who to pray for is always glaringly obvious. The list is long. But what to ask God for becomes more and more unclear all the time. I think it is because I am loath to tell God what to do about anything having learned that my ideas are puny and His are grand. So as I age my prayer times are increasingly silent. I have as yet not come to a judgment as to whether that is good or bad. It just is. Then along comes a passage such as we have today and there comes a flash of clarity. I don’t have to come up with the solutions. “…the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.” Suddenly the onus for conversation doesn’t lie with me and that is good news today. The Spirit knows what is in my heart and He takes that before the throne of God. This is an interesting development. What would be really cool is if I could just be able to listen to the words that the Spirit takes before God on my half but that gift has not yet been granted to me. What I do get to see are the results of those prayers being answered – sometimes.

Here is where hope comes into the picture. Hope is based entirely on what we do not yet hold in our hands. Hope is the confident expectation that God’s will is going to take place. It’s not a wish. Wishes aren’t real; hope is completely real.

  • The hope of my salvation – real in the work of Jesus Christ.
  • The hope that God cares for me – real in my adoption as a child of the Father.
  • The hope that God hears my prayers – real in the Spirit who takes my pleas before the throne.

And here is the Trinity, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, taking care of my every need. I am indeed filled with confident expectation and trust that the Spirit is speaking for me in my silence. So – if you want me to pray for you I would be happy to do so. Just remember, it’s probably a pretty quiet conversation!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door