New Year’s Day 2015: Non-Resolutions



Psalm 119:25-32
25My soul clings to the dust; give me life according to your word!
26When I told of my ways, you answered me; teach me your statutes!
27Make me understand the way of your precepts, and I will meditate on your wondrous works.
28My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word!
29Put false ways far from me and graciously teach me your law!
30I have chosen the way of faithfulness; I set your rules before me.
31I cling to your testimonies, O Lord; let me not be put to shame!
32I will run in the way of your commandments when you enlarge my heart!

I would have had this post done earlier in the day, but I had resolved to take my Christmas tree down on December 26 and it didn’t get done until this morning. The point here is that I’m not very good at keeping resolutions. In fact, I’m terrible at it. So as a result I have learned not to make them because I don’t care for failure. What I do like about New Year’s Day is the concept of a fresh start. I don’t need to make a resolution to experience a fresh start. And since it’s a holiday, I will wander away from our look at Romans for just a moment and chase a new rabbit down a new hole. When that happens I am always drawn to Psalm 119. Today’s segment (of this very long Psalm) is verses 25-32. As I read it through I was almost immediately struck by the two sided division of these verses; my actions (both good and bad) on one side and God’s work (always for my blessing) on the other.

My Actions or Problem
God’s Power at Work
My soul clings to the dust
give me life according to your word
When I told of my ways, you answered me
teach me your statutes
Make me understand the way of your precepts
I will meditate on your wondrous works
My soul melts away for sorrow
strengthen me according to your word
Put false ways far from me
graciously teach me your law
I have chosen the way of faithfulness
I set your rules before me
I cling to your testimonies, O Lord
let me not be put to shame
I will run in the way of your commandments
when you enlarge my heart

Since these verses come from Psalm 119 they are focused on the power of God’s Word to impact my life in a positive way every time. On my side of the chart I find myself clinging to the dust, lacking understanding, sorrowful, and imbibing in false ways. On God’s side I find life, teaching, meditation, strength, and grace. Immediately I am encourage and the fresh start of the New Year looks inviting, intriguing, and dare I say it – fun.

Resolutions making is supposed to be committing to something that will improve your life, like losing weight, daily exercise, complete a college degree, stop yelling at the kids ... you name it. That’s why it’s so disappointing when you don’t keep the resolution. So, without actually making a resolution I will reconfirm my commitment to Bible study and prayer. They are indeed good for me and if I fall down on the task, I will trust in the Lord to draw me back into that which brings more blessing than anything else I can do with my “new year.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door