Our Righteous Shield

Psalm 119:113-120 — Samekh
113 I hate the double-minded, but I love your law.
114 You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in your word.
115 Depart from me, you evildoers, that I may keep the commandments of my God.
116 Uphold me according to your promise, that I may live, and let me not be put to shame in my hope!
117 Hold me up, that I may be safe and have regard for your statutes continually!
118 You spurn all who go astray from your statutes, for their cunning is in vain.
119 All the wicked of the earth you discard like dross, therefore I love your testimonies.
120 My flesh trembles for fear of you, and I am afraid of your judgments.

With this stanza of Psalm 119, the tone turns rather harsh. He is still very positive about the Lord and his love for God’s law. But his tone toward “evildoers” is dramatically dark. If you look at the letter, you will see that its shape is similar to that of a shield. Then read verse 114 and I believe you will agree, that is not an accident.

The root of the word Samekh means "to lean upon," "to uphold," or "to support." The letter Nun, which immediately precedes the letter Samekh in the alphabet, suggests someone who is "bent," or someone who humbles himself in brokenness and submission to the LORD God. Putting these two letters together, we have the Hebrew word nes, miracle. The LORD gives support to the fallen and broken ones who put their trust in Him.

The psalmist holds God’s place as total security in tension with His all-powerful wrath. The “fear of the Lord” is very real in this passage and a concept that we may not spend enough time thinking about because it’s unpleasant. But His righteousness is also our protection and comfort, as we can be certain His justice will always win out in the end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door