Hope = Quiet Confidence


Psalm 62
1For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation.
2He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken.
3How long will all of you attack a man to batter him, like a leaning wall, a tottering fence?
4They only plan to thrust him down from his high position. They take pleasure in falsehood. They bless with their mouths, but inwardly they curse. Selah
5For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him.
6He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken.
7On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God.
8Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us. Selah
9Those of low estate are but a breath; those of high estate are a delusion; in the balances they go up; they are together lighter than a breath.
10Put no trust in extortion; set no vain hopes on robbery; if riches increase, set not your heart on them.
11Once God has spoken; twice have I heard this: that power belongs to God,
12and that to you, O Lord, belongs steadfast love. For you will render to a man according to his work.

This psalm appears often in the prayer lives of God’s people and is a perennial favorite. Each time I read it, my eyes skim over the verses about how evil men attack and instead seek out the words about God and His greatness. I just can’t stop myself. Finally, I just wanted to bask in the comfort and peace that the words about God alone brought, so I took out the verses about the attacks and here’s what is left. For me, these words are sublime.

1For God alone my soul waits in silence; from Him comes my salvation.
2He alone is my Rock and my Salvation, my Fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken.
5For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from Him.
6He only is my Rock and my Salvation, my Fortress; I shall not be shaken.
7On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God.
8Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us. Selah
11Once God has spoken; twice have I heard this: that power belongs to God,
12and that to You, O Lord, belongs steadfast love. For You will render to a man according to His work.

Yes, the lines are fairly repetitive (another observation made when extracting the other verses) but there is peace in that repetition. Each repetition adds details and expands on our understanding of who God is and how He interacts with His children. Now as I read through these verses, I find that one phrase sticks out; “my soul waits in silence for my hope is from Him”. The first time, it is a description but the second time, it is an instruction. For me, that is extremely helpful as I have to be reminded to simply be quiet and let God work. My first response is often to leap into action and I am most certainly capable of filling up the air with useless ideas and words. The instructive reminder is necessary.

David concludes with a meditation on two attributes of God that are a comfort to believers. God is almighty, but he uses this power to protect his people, not to crush them. God is loving and faithful, and he has the power to fulfill His loving promises to His people. These two characteristics combined give God’s people peace and comfort in every circumstance. They can await his just judgment with confidence – with hope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door