Love is a Verb


John 13:9-13
9As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. 10If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. 11These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. 12“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.

I have spoken of it before and will most likely speak of it again. Imagine what happened inside the minds of the Disciples as they pieced together their experiences with Jesus after witnessing His death and resurrection. Imagine seeing Jesus ascend into heaven remembering that this same Jesus is the One who knelt to wash your feet. In that moment I would be undone. We can totally relate to the words of Peter. “Nope. You will not wash my feet.” I would have said the same thing. I can’t even put myself into that position and for that I must confess to the sin of pride, for it is not humility that keeps me from that place but pride. To think of the Lord of glory on His knees before my ugliness is too much. The lesson is so easy to grasp and so difficult to emulate.

In this one instance Jesus teaches a lesson on service and humility that strikes right at the core of our being. I think that this example is so startling because it pokes us right in that tender spot of self-preservation and self-exaltation. Ever since Adam and Eve fell into sin we strive to be on top. We strive to “be like God” and washing feet is the antithesis of that attitude. Now the only Person in the universe who rightfully holds claim to authority and exaltation is setting that aside and acting as the humble slave. The only word I can think of to describe this action is appalling.

That causes me to look forward to my day and see what I will be called upon to do that will be appalling. Where might I serve in a humble and forthright manner? Who is in need of clean feet today? I believe God will present opportunities if I am open to them. I believe that in those moments, my witness to His great love is the strongest. I believe that it is Jesus’ loud call in my heart to be appalling today. Bowing to serve another is an act of God’s love being played out through our hands and hearts. What a wonderful gift to give to another person and what wonderful way to show them how much God loves them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door