Taking Advantage

Amos 3:1-2

1Hear this word that the Lord has spoken against you, O people of Israel, against the whole family that I brought up out of the land of Egypt:

2“You only have I known of all the families of the earth; therefore I will punish you for all your iniquities.

In an incredible act of mercy and grace, God has chosen you. You didn’t choose Him. He reached down into your life and made you His own. As you belong to God, you receive so much; a life spent with Him in close relationship, the promise of eternal life with Him in heaven, a life here of purpose and service. Your response to these gifts is up to you!

The people during the time of Amos thought that their position as God’s chosen people allowed them to live any way they wanted without consequence. They lived as if God would look away from their sin and defections and never call them to account for their behavior because they were “chosen”. They took advantage of their position as God’s people and ceased to remember that walking with God meant walking in relationship.

Wanting all of the blessings that God gives while ignoring Him or maybe even denying Him can be very tempting. Of course I want the gift of heaven, but living in obedience to a loving God can be a bit confining sometimes. Of course I want to be able to go to God at all times in prayer with my troubles and sorrows, but surrendering my life over to Him and accepting His perfect timing and solutions can be trying. Of course I know that God is sovereign over my entire life, but I would prefer it if most of the time He takes up my plans and make them reality. We, just like the nations of Israel and Judah want the benefits God can bring without the humility of bowing the knee before Him.

There are two prayers that need to be constant in our lives; the prayer for Godly wisdom and the prayer for humility. Both will be answered in the positive but will come with responsibility and can only function inside of a relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door