The Little Things



2 Kings 6:1-7
1 Now the sons of the prophets said to Elisha, “See, the place where we dwell under your charge is too small for us.
2 Let us go to the Jordan and each of us get there a log, and let us make a place for us to dwell there.” And he answered, “Go.”
3 Then one of them said, “Be pleased to go with your servants.” And he answered, “I will go.”
4 So he went with them. And when they came to the Jordan, they cut down trees.
5 But as one was felling a log, his axe head fell into the water, and he cried out, “Alas, my master! It was borrowed.”
6 Then the man of God said, “Where did it fall?” When he showed him the place, he cut off a stick and threw it in there and made the iron float.
7 And he said, “Take it up.” So he reached out his hand and took it.

As many of you know, our family was recently enlarged by the birth of our granddaughter, Anabel. The blessings of such an event cannot be overstated. It was my joy to go to the Pacific Northwest and be with my daughter for the birth. As everyone knows, predicting when a baby will be born is almost impossible. The doctors can get close – but babies tend to come when they want to. It was my dream goal to be present to help my daughter with the baby for as long as I was able to be there. I scheduled a 3 week window when I would be there (arriving on August 15th) and then I began the rather crazy prayer of “please Lord, let the baby be born on August 16th or 17th". She was due on the 19th, so I felt like it was a reasonable request. In truth, she could have been born any time 2 weeks earlier and a full week later than that. But, God heard this mother’s heart and granted my request. My daughter went into labor on the 16th and the baby was born on the 17th! The timing couldn’t have been more perfect! (For once, my plans and God’s seemed to jive!)

In our Elisha story for today, we see a very simple request being made. A borrowed axe head has fallen into the Jordan River and the young prophet responsible for the accident is distraught. To pay for a new axe head was probably well out of his reach and he would most likely have had to sell himself into slavery to pay for the loss. He cries out to Elisha for help and through God’s power the axe head floats to the surface! What we witness here is God’s action in the little things. He cared enough about this student of the faith to restore this axe head, saving him from embarrassment and possible financial ruin. Here we have proof that God is in the details. Did God have to help me out with the well-timed birth of Anabel? No He didn’t. But in His mercy, He took care of a small detail for me (and my daughter) and I give Him all the glory for that. It was a little thing, but it meant the world to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door