Retreat


We're going to take a brief break from Daniel just for the rest of the week. I am on a professional / personal / spiritual retreat. This is an annual event that takes me out of normal everyday life and gives an opportunity for an attitude adjustment and perspective renewal. But, I don't want you to think I've forgotten about you. Instead of writing about Daniel, I'm going to share whatever is happening on a spiritual level here at the retreat. With that in mind, I want to share Psalm 13.

1 How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? 
2  How long must I take counsel in my soul and have sorrow in my heart all the day How long shall my enemy be exalted over me? 
3 Consider and answer me, O Lord my God; light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death, 
4 lest my enemy say, “I have prevailed over him,”  lest my foes rejoice because I am shaken. 
5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 
6 I will sing to the Lord, because he has dealt bountifully with me. 

This particular Psalm has been on my radar since 2006, when Pastor Matt Popovits did a video about this discussion between David and The Lord. Last night, I walked through the psalm with a grief recovery group, and then again this evening with my fellow DCEs. What an amazingly rich 6 verses. Read it again and let one or two words emerge as important. Go ahead, I'll wait -----

For me, the words "take counsel in my soul" stick out. I read it in the NIV and that translations says "wrestle with my thoughts". How often do I wrestle with my thoughts, trying to figure something out while God already has everything firmly under control. That leads me to "trusted in Your steadfast love" and the realization that I will wait for God just as long as it takes me to trust in Him. Which words or phrase have meaning for you? What is God trying to say to you in those words? Here's a chance to hear His voice and let Him deal with an issue in your life.

Now read the Psalm again. Has The Lord expanded on those thoughts? Does He have any marching orders for you based on what you've read. For me, I sense The Lord calling me to a deeper level of trust that frees me from swirling around about stuff. Instead of trying to make it on my own, maybe I'll be a little quicker to turn it all over to Him, for He already has everything well in hand.

Come back tomorrow and it will be something completely new! And I promise - back to Daniel on Monday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door