Naming the Lawbreakers



James 4:11-12
11Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge.
12There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?

I used to be fascinated by illusionists; those sleight of hand guys who could fool your eyes with their cleverness and tricks. Even when you know how they’re doing the trick it’s pretty cool to see them done. What they have learned to do is cause you to look one way so that you are noticing what they are doing in the other direction. It takes skill and endless hours of practice. We all have similar ability that doesn’t take any practice at all. We know how to do it almost instinctively. It’s a spiritual “sleight of hand”. James takes a couple of verses to point out this illusion because awareness is always the first imperative. The illusion I’m referring to is our ability to point out the sins and downfall of another so that our own lawbreaker tendencies aren’t noticed. If I can point out your sin, I don’t have to take the time to deal with my own. Quick everyone, look over there!

These verses encourage me to take a beat the next time I want to point out the sin of another, to look inside myself instead and confess my own sin. These verses help us understand that we have no authority or power to judge another because we ourselves are not righteous. Only God is righteous and holy enough for such work. And His response to our sin? He sent Jesus to pay the price for our sin so that it is no more in the mind of God. If God isn’t pointing an accusing finger at me, how can I point an accusing finger at another?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door