Sight



Matthew 20:29-34
29And as they went out of Jericho, a great crowd followed him.
30And behold, there were two blind men sitting by the roadside, and when they heard that Jesus was passing by, they cried out, “Lord, have mercy on us, Son of David!”
31The crowd rebuked them, telling them to be silent, but they cried out all the more, “Lord, have mercy on us, Son of David!”
32And stopping, Jesus called them and said, “What do you want me to do for you?”
33They said to him, “Lord, let our eyes be opened.”
34And Jesus in pity touched their eyes, and immediately they recovered their sight and followed him.

Time for yet another Country / Western song. (For someone who doesn’t like that genre of music, my life is full of country/western memories!) In 1948, Hank Williams wrote and recorded “I Saw the Light”. Of course, that is what streams through my mind as I read this brief story today. In my childhood, we often sang along with the radio and this song was a favorite for we knew all the words. We used to drive down road singing along with Hank. (Clearly, I had a simple childhood.) When I checked iTunes I found 50 recordings of this song by numerous artists. I’ve provided a link and the lyrics if you want to go and listen to this quintessential country song.


I wandered so aimless, life filled with sin
I wouldn't let my dear Savior in
Then Jesus came like a stranger in the night
Praise The Lord, I saw the light

I saw the light, I saw the light
No more darkness, no more night
Now I'm so happy, no sorrow in sight
Praise the Lord, I saw the light

Just like the blind man, I wandered along
Worries and fears, I claimed for my own
Then like the blind man, that God gave back his sight
Praise the Lord, I saw the light

I saw the light, I saw the light
No more darkness, no more night
Now I'm so happy, no sorrow in sight
Praise the Lord, I saw the light

I was a fool to wander and stray
For straight is the gate and narrow the way
Now I have traded, the wrong for the right
Praise the Lord, I saw the light

I saw the light, I saw the light
No more darkness, no more night
Now I'm so happy, no sorrow in sight
Praise the Lord, I saw the light
Songwriter: Hank Williams Sr.

This story from Matthew 20 is more than just the inspiration for a song. It falls in a very interesting place in the story of Jesus’ journey to the cross. As Jesus is traveling south (up) to Jerusalem for His Passion, he passes through the ancient city of Jericho. Outside of the city are two men who sit by the roadside, probably begging in order to survive. They hear the crowd around Jesus and know that He is passing by. This is their opportunity. We are not told how they know about Jesus, but we do know that they have faith in His ability to heal them. Surely they had been told stories of His miracles. Their faith causes them to cry out and beg the Son of David for mercy and healing. Jesus is compassionate and gracious, granting their request.

Since nothing ever happens by accident in the Scriptures, we have to look at the preceding passage and find a startling comparison. Right before the healing of the blind men Matthew shares the story of James and John seeking prestige and power by asking to be placed on Jesus left and right when it comes time to rule. When Jesus asks their mother what she wants Him to do, she asks for power and honor. When Jesus asks the blind men what they want, they ask for healing. Upon being healed these two men who can now see begin to follow Jesus. Back in Matthew 9:27-31 we find Jesus performing a similar miracle. That time He tells the recipient not to share the story of his healing with anyone. (Of course that admonition goes unheeded.) This time, Jesus does not tell the healed blind men not to share the story for He is already on His way to Jerusalem to carry out His mission of salvation. There’s no need to keep the story quiet any longer.

The disciples have proven only a short time before this healing that they are still “spiritually blind.” They are still grasping for worldly power and position. They stand in sharp contrast to a couple of guys who have a need that Jesus easily meets. The blind men follow Jesus and we don’t know what happens with the rest of their lives. That’s a story that we’ll have wait to hear when we meet them face to face in heaven I guess. Once again, the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are weak and in need of a Savior; a status that defines us all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door