Jail Break



Acts 5:17-26
17But the high priest rose up, and all who were with him (that is, the party of the Sadducees), and filled with jealousy
18they arrested the apostles and put them in the public prison.
19But during the night an angel of the Lord opened the prison doors and brought them out, and said,
20“Go and stand in the temple and speak to the people all the words of this Life.”
21And when they heard this, they entered the temple at daybreak and began to teach. Now when the high priest came, and those who were with him, they called together the council, all the senate of the people of Israel, and sent to the prison to have them brought.
22But when the officers came, they did not find them in the prison, so they returned and reported,
23“We found the prison securely locked and the guards standing at the doors, but when we opened them we found no one inside.”
24Now when the captain of the temple and the chief priests heard these words, they were greatly perplexed about them, wondering what this would come to.
25And someone came and told them, “Look! The men whom you put in prison are standing in the temple and teaching the people.”
26Then the captain with the officers went and brought them, but not by force, for they were afraid of being stoned by the people.

As we read through the book of Acts we will find that there are several time when God’s people were imprisoned for spreading the Gospel. On several occasions, God breaks them out of prison so that the work of sharing His Word can continue. And sometimes God leaves them in prison for extended periods of time and there are always reasons for that too. In our account for today, it sounds like the imprisoned Apostles only spent a few hours in jail before and angel comes and springs them.

I confess I find this account lacking in detail. I really want to know how they got out without the guards knowing about it. Did God cause the guards to fall asleep? Did the angel just “transport” them out? It says the door was opened, so how did that happen? And the guards thought nothing was amiss. They didn’t even know their prisoners were gone! Really, I want more detail! But the Holy Spirit has told us enough and that’s all we need, I guess. Suffice it to say, God’s purposes were accomplished.

There are numerous times in my life when I want more detail and God chooses not to provide it. In my more mature moments I realize that I have all the information necessary to accomplish the goal. Any more detail would probably land me in a place of arrogance or move me to take over the situation instead of letting God lead. Understanding that doesn’t mean I like it – yet. Clearly there’s room for growth in this impatient part of my personality. The Apostles didn’t really get much information in this story either. They find themselves in jail and suddenly, they’re not. God only tells them to go to the temple and tell the people about Jesus. So that’s what they do. They are living in the moment and by obedience. The outcome of that is stunning. They end up “rejoicing”. Another confession; sometimes I forget the “rejoicing” part too. God grants me a blessing and I just pick up my gift and run off forgetting about the fact that my Father has provided for me yet again and He deserves my praise. But we’re working on that.

This story has teeth. Not because it is wildly dramatic but because it once again proves the complete power of a holy God to take care of His people and accomplish His goal; the spreading of the Gospel. I doubt for one moment that the Apostles were happy about being incarcerated. But they were faithful to the mission and joyful that they were used by God. It’s a win / win.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door