Debt



Romans 13:8-10
8Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.
9For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
10Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

“Recall that in the previous section Paul urged his readers, ‘Give everyone what you owe him: … taxes … revenue … respect … honor.’ Those are obligations that can and must be fulfilled. But now he adds one obligation that should never be considered as completed, one bill that dare never be marked “Paid in Full.” And that is the “continuing debt to love one another.” Paul indicates the basis for that when he says, ‘He who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law.’ One could paraphrase his logic by saying, ‘Love, because that’s what God wants you to do.’”
Panning, A. J. ©1999. Romans (p. 216). Milwaukee, WI: Northwestern Pub. House.

As I’m reading the passage for today the words of a self-justifying lawyer from the Book of Luke rang in my ears. “And who is my neighbor?” Jesus uses that question to teach what might arguably be called the most famous of the parables; the Good Samaritan.

Luke 10:25-37
25And behold, a lawyer stood up to put him to the test, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?”
26He said to him, “What is written in the Law? How do you read it?”
27And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.”
28And he said to him, “You have answered correctly; do this, and you will live.”
29But he, desiring to justify himself, said to Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”
30Jesus replied, “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he fell among robbers, who stripped him and beat him and departed, leaving him half dead.
31Now by chance a priest was going down that road, and when he saw him he passed by on the other side.
32So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side.
33But a Samaritan, as he journeyed, came to where he was, and when he saw him, he had compassion.
34He went to him and bound up his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he set him on his own animal and brought him to an inn and took care of him.
35And the next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper, saying, ‘Take care of him, and whatever more you spend, I will repay you when I come back.’
36Which of these three, do you think, proved to be a neighbor to the man who fell among the robbers?”
37He said, “The one who showed him mercy.” And Jesus said to him, “You go, and do likewise.”

So who shall I pay this debt of love to throughout my life? I want the answer to be “those of my choosing.” It is easy to love and care for those who love me and treat me well. I can relate to that lawyer. He knew that he was able to love the loveable. But certainly Jesus does mean for me to pay that debt of love to those aren’t as nice to me. Certainly that person who gossips about me or treats me badly isn’t on that list of people I owe. Jesus would say differently and Paul’s words back up that stance. It is interesting that Paul couches his theology in the words of commerce. That love is an actual debt. We owe it. The person who didn’t pay their debts in Paul’s day was thrown into prison. Debt is serious.

Lest we get too heavy handed here with the law we must always look to the Father who loves us even though we are completely unlovable. He loves us so much that He took care of our unlovable state through the blood of Jesus. Now we are free to love unconditionally and we are free to extend that love even to those who are not kind to us. And since I find that unconditional love difficult He has also given me His Holy Spirit who will enable and empower that love. It’s a win – win.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door