Before Abraham Was, I AM



John 8:39-59
39They answered him, “Abraham is our father.” Jesus said to them, “If you were Abraham’s children, you would be doing the works Abraham did, 40but now you seek to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. This is not what Abraham did. 41You are doing the works your father did.” They said to him, “We were not born of sexual immorality. We have one Father—even God.” 42Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I came not of my own accord, but he sent me. 43Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word. 44You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45But because I tell the truth, you do not believe me. 46Which one of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me? 47Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God.” 48The Jews answered him, “Are we not right in saying that you are a Samaritan and have a demon?” 49Jesus answered, “I do not have a demon, but I honor my Father, and you dishonor me. 50Yet I do not seek my own glory; there is One who seeks it, and he is the judge. 51Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.” 52The Jews said to him, “Now we know that you have a demon! Abraham died, as did the prophets, yet you say, ‘If anyone keeps my word, he will never taste death.’ 53Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died? And the prophets died! Who do you make yourself out to be?” 54Jesus answered, “If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, ‘He is our God.’ 55But you have not known him. I know him. If I were to say that I do not know him, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and I keep his word. 56Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad.” 57So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?” 58Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” 59So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple. (ESV)

This is, for me, one of the strongest passages in all of Scripture. Every time I read it I can just see the scene. There is Jesus going nose to nose with those who would see Him dead. And He speaks to them in the absolutely strongest words available. They are liars and He is the Truth. The two are diametrically opposed; plain and simple.

There is a moment of comedy in the heart of the dialogue. The Pharisees actually say, “Isn’t it true that you are a Samaritan and have a demon?” That just cracks me up. I rather hear Pee Wee Herman saying “I know you are, but what am I.” The Pharisees think of the two worst people they can think of; Samaritans and Demons. Since the two are on par it doesn’t matter which Jesus would associate with, but He must be from one of those two camps. Jesus doesn’t even address the idea of Him being a Samaritan because I don’t think He considered that a slur. But he casts off the idea of being associated with Satan with one simple answer and then moves on to His true point.

Jesus identifies these men with Satan himself. He in fact calls Satan their father while they try to claim that Abraham, nay God, is their true father. Verse 44 has always given us so much information about Satan. …there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character … for he is the father of lies.” The NIV translates that line this way:  “When he lies, he speaks his native language”. It’s all he knows. Both translations tell us so much about Satan. His very character is corrupt and the only language he knows is lying. This is who Jesus claims to be the father of these men. It’s is an incendiary comment only be followed by an irrefutable claim that He Himself is God. “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” The impact of this conversation is nothing short of brilliant. Jesus states categorically who He is and who they are. No wonder they picked up stones.

We are daily faced with those who would question our motives and the impetus of our beliefs. Just because they ask the question doesn't make them correct. Instead, we act with grace which belies their caustic remarks and move on just as Jesus did. I won't be categorizing as a follower of Satan because I don't have the same knowledge as Jesus or His authority to make those judgments. But neither will I accept that typification either. My Father is God and I live to His standards and that of no one else.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door