Support and Opposition

3 John 1–15
The elder to the beloved Gaius, whom I love in truth. Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul. For I rejoiced greatly when the brothers came and testified to your truth, as indeed you are walking in the truth. I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth. Beloved, it is a faithful thing you do in all your efforts for these brothers, strangers as they are, who testified to your love before the church. You will do well to send them on their journey in a manner worthy of God. For they have gone out for the sake of the name, accepting nothing from the Gentiles. Therefore we ought to support people like these, that we may be fellow workers for the truth. I have written something to the church, but Diotrephes, who likes to put himself first, does not acknowledge our authority. 10 So if I come, I will bring up what he is doing, talking wicked nonsense against us. And not content with that, he refuses to welcome the brothers, and also stops those who want to and puts them out of the church. 11Beloved, do not imitate evil but imitate good. Whoever does good is from God; whoever does evil has not seen God. 12 Demetrius has received a good testimony from everyone, and from the truth itself. We also add our testimony, and you know that our testimony is true. 13 I had much to write to you, but I would rather not write with pen and ink. 14 I hope to see you soon, and we will talk face to face. 15 Peace be to you. The friends greet you. Greet the friends, each by name.

When I was a kid my father would often take our family out to a nicer resataurant for dinner. It was an opportunity for my brother and I to practice our social skills and behave like civilized humans rather than chimps. On several occasions the wait staff would compliment my parents on their well behaved children and we would bask in the glory of that praise. My father would always say, "Thank you. We are very proud of them." And my brother and I would glow in their approval. When I read these words from John today I get the same sense of pride flowing from him over his beloved fellow believers. Just the thought of their faith brings him great joy. And we are a part of that same joy!

This week I've had the pure pleasure of spending time with two men who can both claim I am a part of their faith development. They have both gone on to be be power houses for the faith in their own right and have long since suprassed my own skills and influence in God's Kingdom. When I get to stand before God on the last day, I am going to thank Him face to face for those experiences for they are indeed precious. I believe that they are precious to me because they are precious to God.

Think back over your own faith walk and praise God for those whom you have had to opportunity to touch or influence for Him. It will be a rewarding and worship filled experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door