Wisdom and Understanding



Psalm 119:97-104 – Mem
97Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day.
98Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies, for it is ever with me.
99I have more understanding than all my teachers, for your testimonies are my meditation.
100I understand more than the aged, for I keep your precepts.
101I hold back my feet from every evil way, in order to keep your word.
102I do not turn aside from your rules, for you have taught me.
103How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
104Through your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way.

Self-aggrandizement has never been recognized as a part of the Christian walk. In fact, Jesus is quite harsh with the Pharisees who exercised that practice on a regular basis. And so, a read through these 8 verses proved to be really surprising. The author uses strong, positive language and as “humble” believers, we’re not used to such statements about oneself. In three verses, the person who loves God’s law and makes it a part of their daily meditation is wiser than their enemies, has more understanding than their teachers, and understands more than the aged. That an impressive list of characteristics.

Lest we become too full of ourselves, we should put this in perspective. Those positive statements are the meat in the sandwich between two slices of God’s Word. “I love your law!” and “Through your precepts” begin and end this list. Without a steady intake and meditation upon God’s Word, that wisdom and understand will not be ours. And there is where we stumble. We want to be wise and understanding without submitting ourselves to His Word and it just doesn’t work that way. Fortunately, for those who take a moment and submerse themselves in the Word, there is a treat in store. “How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!” What a lovely picture. It makes me want to read God’s Word aloud – and that is a wonderful practice. Not only are they sweet in the mouth but rich in our ears.

Dear Lord God, thank You for Your Word. It is a gift beyond measure. Help me to daily continue to read, study, and meditate upon what You have to say to us. Thank You for the gift of these positive outcomes and keep me ever faithful to what You teach me. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door