The Calmed and Quieted Soul


Psalm 131
A Song of Ascents. Of David.
1O Lord, my heart is not lifted up; my eyes are not raised too high; I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me.
2But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me.
3O Israel, hope in the Lord from this time forth and forevermore.

A couple of weeks ago, I was privileged and overjoyed to hold my 12-month-old granddaughter as she slept. It’s an experience of serenity, both for the child and the grandma. Her face was utterly relaxed, her little hands limp and soft. She was in a place of peace. As David writes this brief prayer, we find that he is locating the source of his peace in the Lord Almighty. That peace is found in letting God do His work and not trying to take His place. That peace is found in resting in His arms, fully trusting in His power to hold you.

But I have calmed and quieted my soul.  Isn’t that the goal, to be calm and quiet? It sounds like bliss. I fear we are all too familiar with restless and anxious. But the arrival of Jesus Christ bring the reality of that peace into sharp focus. Paul shared that truth with the believers in Philippi.

Philippians 4:7
And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finding that peace throughout a busy day begins with dwelling in that peace for a least a few moments at the beginning of the day. Appropriating what God has done for you in an intentional time with Him can set you up for some calm and quiet throughout all that you are called upon to do. It might also help to set aside things we are tempted to engage that are not actually ours to solve. We can’t forget that David had a great point when he turned over to God that which was not his problem. For me, that often takes a long time. But it’s worth the effort and probably makes for lower blood pressure. I think that God shows us what a peaceful sleeping child looks like because then we have a point to reference. May we all have moments (even long moments) of that calmed and quieted soul as we rest in the peace that passes understanding.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door