"Shut Up! Be Muzzled!"


Onward! – Mark 4:35-41
35On that day, when evening had come, he said to them, “Let us go across to the other side.” 36And leaving the crowd, they took him with them in the boat, just as he was. And other boats were with him. 37And a great windstorm arose, and the waves were breaking into the boat, so that the boat was already filling. 38But he was in the stern, asleep on the cushion. And they woke him and said to him, “Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?” 39And he awoke and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, “Peace! Be still!” And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. 40He said to them, “Why are you so afraid? Have you still no faith?” 41And they were filled with great fear and said to one another, “Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?”

A few weeks ago, when we were still able to meet all together in one room rather than our own living rooms for worship, the sermon contained a mention of the story of Jesus calming the storm. I have a grandson who draws prolifically and apparently he was inspired to draw this picture on the back of an offering envelope – because, you know, it was there. After the service, he presented it to me and said it was for me. This is his version of Visual Faith notetaking. I leaned the drawing up against the wall behind my desk and hadn’t really thought about it very much. In fact, I hadn’t really even examined very closely. Then, this week, in another application, the story of Jesus calming the storm came up and I was drawn to a closer look at this little drawing. I’m certain you cannot read the little tiny caption, but the man in the front of the boat is saying “Onward!”

As the changes in our lives have taken over during the last couple of weeks, sometimes is feel like we’re in a big storm. I will personally confess; I struggle way more with the storm in the economy than I do with the virus. Panic has taken over in many people and we have seen the results in empty grocery shelves and hoarding. That alone has been a little troubling. But we march forward – because we have no other choice. And really, that’s what trust is all about. Today, if we don’t have trust in God’s ability to lead us onward, we’re going to be the ones hoarding toilet paper and Purell.

As I researched this story of Jesus’ mastery over nature, I found that the translation of “Peace! Be still!” is more accurately “Shut Up! Be Muzzled!” . That is powerful! When I was raising my girls, the words “shut-up” were not allowed. Shut-Up means that the speaker is demanding your compliance. Jesus knew that when He told the waves to shut-up, they would have no choice. Instant quiet followed His words. Jesus can speak the same words into our troubled hearts. But, we probably need to have willingness to listen and that means intentionally deciding to let Jesus speak rather than the news, social media, or our own chaotic minds. I’ve talked with many over the last few days who have begun to do just that. They are limiting the time spent with the news networks and social media and giving that time over to the Lord in quiet worship instead. Seems like a wise move – one we can emulate with some intentionality.

Comments

  1. Thank you for these wise and calming words! I can't tell you how many times this week that I have said to fellow co-workers to "Be calm - God is still in control!" I have watched the level of panic rise to unbelievable levels until there is now more possibility of dying from the stress and the chemical stench of all the disinfectants than from the virus. Am I too relaxed? Maybe, but God's comfort is so much better than the world's hysteria!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments, Karen. I'm not sure we can be "too relaxed" when in the presence of God. That trust is beyond price and it behooves us to share it with everyone around us. Peace and blessings to you, my sister in Christ!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door