Rain


1 Kings 18:41- 46
41 And Elijah said to Ahab, “Go up, eat and drink, for there is a sound of the rushing of rain.”
42 So Ahab went up to eat and to drink. And Elijah went up to the top of Mount Carmel. And he bowed himself down on the earth and put his face between his knees.
43 And he said to his servant, “Go up now, look toward the sea.” And he went up and looked and said, “There is nothing.” And he said, “Go again,” seven times.
44 And at the seventh time he said, “Behold, a little cloud like a man’s hand is rising from the sea.” And he said, “Go up, say to Ahab, ‘Prepare your chariot and go down, lest the rain stop you.’ ”
45 And in a little while the heavens grew black with clouds and wind, and there was a great rain. And Ahab rode and went to Jezreel.
46 And the hand of the Lord was on Elijah, and he gathered up his garment and ran before Ahab to the entrance of Jezreel.

This morning on the news they reported that we are currently experiencing the nation’s greatest natural disaster – ever. Most of the nation is plunged into a crippling drought. Fires rage across the landscape and crops are struggling. We’re getting a mild taste of what life was like in Israel during the days of Elijah and Ahab. At this point in our story, there has been no rain for 3½ years. God has managed to finally get the attention of the people as they are slowly starving both physically and spiritually. The prophets of Baal have been dispatched and it is time for rain. Ahab’s god has been unable to bring fire to destroy the altar and also unable to bring the desperately needed rain. False gods are always powerless. But Yahweh is about to act.

Elijah first prophesies to Ahab, telling him that the time for rain has come. Then he bows down before the Lord, with is face to his knees and prays – seven times (seven being the number of perfection). Surprisingly, Ahab actually listens to Elijah and heads for Jezreel in order to stay ahead of the coming deluge. (Chariot wheels do not do well in mud!) And God empowers Elijah to run the 70 miles ahead of Ahab’s chariot! What a day Elijah is having; a fiery showdown with the prophets of Baal, an intense time of prayer for the end of the drought, and running the distance of almost 3 marathons! By the same token, what a day Ahab is having. He finally finds Elijah, his enemy. He witnesses the defeat and demise of his wife’s prophets (850 of them), he sees his people repent of their foolish idolatry, and his country is finally relieved of the terrible drought because God’s prophet was obedient. Now it is time for both men to face the even greater enemy, Queen Jezebeel. (Sometimes I feel a little sorry for Ahab. Facing Jezebel would not have been fun. I think she was a fierce, scary woman.)

 It is important to keep in mind that the key player in all of this drama is not Elijah or Ahab, but God. It is His power that brought forth the fire to burn the altar. It is His power that brings the rain. It is His power that enables Elijah to run 70 miles at speeds that were greater than that of a horse. God is the main player in this story; Elijah merely a tool in His hand. There can be no greater feeling that to be used as a tool in the hands of an Almighty God.

When I attempt to fix something around the house (which doesn’t happen very often) I sometimes can be accused of misusing tools. If I need to tap a nail into the wall in order to hang a picture, I will grab whatever will work. I’ve been known to strike a nail with the side of a wrench in order to accomplish my goal. What I have never had happen is for the wrench to turn to me and say, “Hey! That’s not what I’m used for. Pick up a hammer!” Nope. The tool in my hand does whatever I make it do. The same needs to be said of us as we are used as God’s tools in this world. Unlike that wrench, I have been guilty of turning to God and saying, “But I don’t want to do that. Pick someone else.” If I am going to be a useful tool in the hands of an all wise, almighty God, I need to shut up and let Him do whatever He wants with me. If asked, I’m sure that Elijah would rather not have faced off with 850 enemy prophets. But he did it and God got the glory. Next time God picks me up and wants to use me for something, I suppose the better course would be to keep my complaints to a minimum and try a little obedience!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door