Three Weeks



Daniel 10:13-11:1
13 The prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me twenty-one days, but Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, for I was left there with the kings of Persia,
14 and came to make you understand what is to happen to your people in the latter days. For the vision is for days yet to come.”
15 When he had spoken to me according to these words, I turned my face toward the ground and was mute.
16 And behold, one in the likeness of the children of man touched my lips. Then I opened my mouth and spoke. I said to him who stood before me, “O my lord, by reason of the vision pains have come upon me, and I retain no strength.
17 How can my lord’s servant talk with my lord? For now no strength remains in me, and no breath is left in me.”
18 Again one having the appearance of a man touched me and strengthened me.
19 And he said, “O man greatly loved, fear not, peace be with you; be strong and of good courage.” And as he spoke to me, I was strengthened and said, “Let my lord speak, for you have strengthened me.”
20 Then he said, “Do you know why I have come to you? But now I will return to fight against the prince of Persia; and when I go out, behold, the prince of Greece will come.
21 But I will tell you what is inscribed in the book of truth: there is none who contends by my side against these except Michael, your prince.
11:1 “And as for me, in the first year of Darius the Mede, I stood up to confirm and strengthen him.

The deeper we go into this extraordinary vision and conversation that Daniel has with “the Son of Man” the more intriguing it becomes. Daniel has been praying for 21 days. The Messenger acknowledges that his prayers have been heard from the moment he began to lift them up. God has been moving to answer those prayers. While it may have seemed to Daniel like his prayers were falling on deaf ears, they were not. Just because we can’t see it doesn’t mean that God isn’t moving! When we pray, we do so with confidence that God is acting on our behalf and in accordance with His will for us. Had I been Daniel, along about day 10, I would have wondered if God was even listening! But Daniel is persistent and keeping bring his needs before the Lord.

Let’s not jump to a wrong conclusion though. It is not Daniel’s persistence that moves God. He was already moving! Our constant begging does not manipulate God into doing what we want. But we are free to share whatever is on our heart for as long as it is on our heart. But we do so with the confidence that God’s work is being completed even if we can’t see it.

Also in this passage we witness the tenacity of Satan. Even in the face of certain defeat, Satan is going to continue to harass and pummel God’s people, although he does so with God’s knowledge and permission (see Job 1:6ff and 2:1ff). We are not free of his attacks this side of death. But, as is displayed in this passage, Jesus is fighting Satan for us. We need only stand and pray. Ours is not an offensive posture – ours is a prayerful posture. Through the Scriptures we are told to allow God to fight evil. We need only stand and through the power of Jesus Christ we are able to do so!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door