Mercy First


On Sunday we enter what is known in the Church as Advent. During Advent we look forward to the coming of the Christ Child and prepare our hearts the celebration of Christmas. We celebrate Christmas because it marks the beginning of the human life of Jesus, as He lives and breaths on this planet so that we might be saved from our sins. In preparation for Christmas, we will be taking a break from our regular study of Matthew and focus on the readings that will be a part of worship on Sunday mornings between now and Christmas. Today, that preparation begins.


Prayer: Gracious Lord God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I have come again to that time of year when we celebrate the birth of Your dear Son, Jesus. It seems like the year has gone by so quickly. But I know that each day was measured by You and allowed by You. I know that my life has been completely in Your hands every moment of every day. Now I ask that You would go with me into this season as we walk through the story of Jesus’ birth. Grant to me new insight and understanding so that I might continue to grow up in You. In the name of Jesus, my Savior, I pray. Amen.



Read: Genesis 3:6-19



Think about It: And thus we begin at the beginning. God has created a beautiful universe and because of His unending love, He has given the whole world to Adam and Eve. It is a fantastic gift of epic proportions. Along with this creation, Adam and Eve are blessed to walk with God in perfect harmony every single day. There is no sin and no contention. It is rightfully called Paradise. Then the unthinkable happens. Adam and Eve do the one and only thing they are told not to do. They eat of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, having been tempted by Satan. God’s perfect creation is ruined. The relationship between Creator and creation is spoiled. Now there will be consequences.


Always we think of the consequences for three parties; Adam, Eve, and Satan. But actually there are consequences for four as God must be included in that list as well. He will have to surrender His only Son unto death because of this sin. He pays the highest price of all. As God lines up Satan, Adam, and Eve, He speaks into each of their lives the results of their choice. Interestingly, God deals with Satan first. His consequence is that the serpent will slither on the ground, eating dust. And for Satan, who inhabited the serpent, his head will be crushed. Here is where we first see the mercy of God poured out upon his children (Genesis 3:15 – known as the “first Gospel”). As Adam and Eve stand there waiting their turn to hear what will happen to them, they get to first hear the Gospel. Satan’s head will be crushed! There is hope. Their   enemy will perish. While this does not remove the consequences that Adam and Eve have to suffer, they now know that God is going to take care of the mess they have created. God always chooses mercy first. The same is true for us. God always chooses mercy for us when we have received Christ as our Savior. Even those who do not claim Jesus as their Savior are living under mercy for as long as they have breath. There is time for them to know Jesus.



Prayer: Dear Lord, I am so grateful that You have chosen to be merciful to me. This is a gift that I hold onto with all my heart. Please Lord, help me to be aware of Your sacrifice on my behalf and let me share this amazing truth with those around me. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door