Penitential Psalms


Psalm 6
1O Lord, rebuke me not in your anger, nor discipline me in your wrath.
2Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am languishing; heal me, O Lord, for my bones are troubled.
3My soul also is greatly troubled. But you, O Lord—how long?
4Turn, O Lord, deliver my life; save me for the sake of your steadfast love.
5For in death there is no remembrance of you; in Sheol who will give you praise?
6I am weary with my moaning; every night I flood my bed with tears; I drench my couch with my weeping.
7My eye wastes away because of grief; it grows weak because of all my foes.
8Depart from me, all you workers of evil, for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
9The Lord has heard my plea; the Lord accepts my prayer.
10All my enemies shall be ashamed and greatly troubled; they shall turn back and be put to shame in a moment.

Psalm 6, attributed to King David, is traditionally known as a Penitential Psalm of which there are seven (6, 32, 38, 51, 102, 130, and 143). While the words “please forgive me” or “I have sinned” do not appear, the tenor of the entire psalm leads one to a place of repentance. Every word speaks to David’s acknowledgment of his need for a Savior. What strikes me first as I read these words is the complete honesty with which David speaks. It is a very emotional expression of desperation as he examines his own heart and life. Circumstances (either his betrayal by Absalom or the attempt by another of his sons – Adonijah - to thwart placing Solomon on the throne after David) have led him to recognize that he is a sinful person and needs to be at peace with a holy God. He is calling upon God’s love, mercy, and grace.

We are so captivated by our circumstances. If I’m struggling with my boss or my kids are breaking my heart, if my best friend has walked away from me or my health is deteriorating, I can become despondent and feel hopeless. And I get that. It’s all we have, right? But I would suggest that we do not have to be the constant victims of our circumstance, at least emotionally. David gives us another avenue. He heads straight to God and seeks peace with Him. That peace can only be found in the restoration of a right relationship which is the product of God graciously granting us His forgiveness for our sins. The circumstances may not change. In fact “may not” is probably too generous. The circumstances probably won’t change. But if you are right with God, you are no longer subject to the circumstance – He is. And He can handle it.

None of this is rocket science or terribly profound. But sometimes we just need a reminder that God’s forgiveness is all that we need. Through Jesus Christ He makes all things right. The world may rage around us, but we can find peace with our Loving and Forgiving God because He “accepts my prayer.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door