Daleth


Psalm 119:25-32
25My soul clings to the dust; give me life according to your word!
26When I told of my ways, you answered me; teach me your statutes!
27Make me understand the way of your precepts, and I will meditate on your wondrous works.
28My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word!
29Put false ways far from me and graciously teach me your law!
30I have chosen the way of faithfulness; I set your rules before me.
31I cling to your testimonies, O Lord; let me not be put to shame! 
32I will run in the way of your commandments when you enlarge my heart!


In the study of these verses this morning I was drawn to look at two different translations because I study in the ESV and act as a scribe with the NIV. That is proving to be a useful tool in expanding my understanding of the Psalm and making application to my own journey with God. The differences in those two translations shine a brighter light on the last three verses for today. Beginning with verse 25, I confess to thinking, “Oh no. Another downer of a psalm.” But the very next phrase belies that opinion and then the words soar and I am transported to a place of hope and encouragement.

This particular stanza of Psalm 119 emphasis the writers need to be constantly instructed by the Lord through His Word. A willingness to be taught is a crucial part of the Christian walk. When we believe we have “arrived” and no longer have anything to learn, we’re in trouble. But that is clearly not the experience of this psalmist, for he does indeed see the need for continual education in the ways of God.

The last three verses of this reading are stunning (at least for me). In response to the plea to have God’s Word as our constant teacher, the writer submits and declares that they have embraced this call to learn and obey. The ESV is a more cerebral approach, while the NIV seems more emotional. The different word choices of each translator give a different feel to each.
Verses 28, 30-31 from the NIV

28My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word.
30I have chosen the way of truth; I have set my heart on your laws.
31I hold fast to your statutes, O Lord; do not let me be put to shame.
32I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free.
VERSE
ESV
NIV
28
 my soul melts for sorrow
my soul is weary
30
way of faithfulness
way of truth
30
set Your rules
set my heart
32
You enlarge my heart
You have set my heart free

These are subtle differences but for me the NIV took the psalm to the heart level and that made all the difference. I confess to having read those three verses at least a dozen times. I added verse 28 only because by Friday, I’m just weary. There’s really no sorrow – just weariness. That word leaped off the page for me, as it probably would on any given Friday.

Finally, I must make mention of “You have set my heart free”. That’s where we want to reside, where our hearts are free. It is heartening to know that the study of God’s Word has the power – to set our hearts free. That freedom is found in the knowledge that God has handled every detail of my life in His all-powerful hands. There is nothing for me to be concerned about up to and most importantly including my eternal salvation. It is in God’s Word that I learn of my Savior and that indeed sets my heart free.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door