Gimel


Psalm 119:17-24
17Deal bountifully with your servant, that I may live and keep your word.
18Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law.
19I am a sojourner on the earth; hide not your commandments from me!
20My soul is consumed with longing for your rules at all times.
21You rebuke the insolent, accursed ones, who wander from your commandments.
22Take away from me scorn and contempt, for I have kept your testimonies.
23Even though princes sit plotting against me, your servant will meditate on your statutes.
24Your testimonies are my delight; they are my counselors.

One of the devotional practices I am currently exercising is that of scribe. Each day I write out the Biblical text that we study by hand. I’ve tried this before but never with this much intentionality. It has become a daily practice and has some surprising benefits. Until now, I can honestly say I’ve never paid this much attention to Psalm 119. Focusing on the words long enough to write them down means I actually look at the text and think about the words. They have greater impact. In doing that today, I was surprised by the verses that grabbed my attention.

These 8 verses seem slightly disjointed for me. The author flips back and forth between attacking those who do not seem to follow God and expressions of delight in the Word. There are 3 verses that caused me to go back and read them again several times.

20My soul is consumed with longing for your rules at all times.
23Even though princes sit plotting against me, your servant will meditate on your statutes.

24Your testimonies are my delight; they are my counselors.

Would that it was true that my soul was consumed with longing for God’s rules at all time. To say that might be a stretch of the truth for me. But it does seem like a worthy goal. Finally, I am intrigued by the idea that rather than perseverating on what others think or plot against me I would instead spend my mental energies on God’s Word. That puts me in mind of “taking every thought captive and making it obedient unto Christ.” (2 Cor. 10:5). If I’m focused on God’s Word, the opinions of others mean nothing, for I am seeking to please only one Master. That is my take home point for the day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door