Jesus’ Worship Life


Psalm 118
1Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever!
2Let Israel say, “His steadfast love endures forever.”
3Let the house of Aaron say, “His steadfast love endures forever.”
4Let those who fear the Lord say, “His steadfast love endures forever.”
5  Out of my distress I called on the Lord; the Lord answered me and set me free.
6  The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me?
7  The Lord is on my side as my helper; I shall look in triumph on those who hate me.
8  It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man.
9It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in princes.
10All nations surrounded me; in the name of the Lord I cut them off!
11They surrounded me, surrounded me on every side; in the name of the Lord I cut them off!
12They surrounded me like bees; they went out like a fire among thorns; in the name of the Lord I cut them off!
13I was pushed hard, so that I was falling, but the Lord helped me.
14The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation.

Psalm 118 is ubiquitous to The Passion of Jesus. Because of its place in the Psalter it is quite likely one that would have been recited by Jesus and the disciples during their celebration of the Passover. It contains numerous references to the path that Jesus walked during this momentous week and as such, you will quite often hear all or part of it during Holy Week.

Knowing that Jesus most likely used this psalm during His own worship as He approached the Cross can certainly lend a deeper understanding of what He was facing. Read these verses again with His work in mind. What do you think Jesus might have been pondering as He entered Jerusalem for the final time? What might have stirred in His Spirit as He engages with the people, the Pharisees, or with His own Disciples? When read in that context, some of these verses become quite poignant. “Out of my distress...” reaches into our hearts as we remember His words from the Cross, such as “My God, My God, why have You forsaken me?” That is followed up by “The Lord is on My side; I will not fear.” Only the bravest spirit can say “I will not fear” and Jesus knew what He was facing.

Verses 11-13 would take on a frantic tone if were I the one speaking them in the face of the Passion. Now hearing them in the voice of Jesus brings His suffering to a fine point and we stand horrified. Read them again, and think of Jesus speaking these words as He walked to Gethsemane. It will break your heart – as it should.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door