My Hope is Built on Jesus


Psalm 118:14-29
14The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation.
15Glad songs of salvation are in the tents of the righteous: “The right hand of the Lord does valiantly,
16the right hand of the Lord exalts, the right hand of the Lord does valiantly!”
17I shall not die, but I shall live, and recount the deeds of the Lord.
18The Lord has disciplined me severely, but he has not given me over to death.
19Open to me the gates of righteousness, that I may enter through them and give thanks to the Lord.
20This is the gate of the Lord; the righteous shall enter through it.
21I thank you that you have answered me and have become my salvation.
22The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone.
23This is the Lord’s doing; it is marvelous in our eyes.
24This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.
25Save us, we pray, O Lord! O Lord, we pray, give us success!
26Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! We bless you from the house of the Lord.
27The Lord is God, and he has made his light to shine upon us. Bind the festal sacrifice with cords, up to the horns of the altar!
28You are my God, and I will give thanks to you; you are my God; I will extol you.
29Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever!

He has become my salvation! These are the words that need to ring in our ears as we celebrate the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ. This verse is borrowed from the song of Miriam after the crossing of the Red Sea. She recognized that she had witnessed something truly miraculous and that the lives of all God’s people had been spared. Now remember that this psalm (as we discussed last week) was a part of the liturgical life of the Jews as they celebrated the Passover. Jesus spoke these words as He prepared for death. Think that thought again; Jesus spoke these words as He prepared for death. Now go back and read this passage one more time, hearing them through the mind and heart of our Savior as He prepares to die for the sins of mankind. They suddenly take on a sharper meaning and their praise-filled nature is startling.

“I shall not die, but I shall live”. Even as He approaches the crucifixion, Jesus knows that He will conquer death and come back from the grave. The words of this passage encourage us to go through life with that same confidence. This psalm has gripped my heart and spirit today. I’ve probably read it at least 25 times and each time I can just hear Jesus speaking these words with confidence, even joy despite the hours of suffering that are before Him. Each phrase resounds with truth and salvation.

Matt Maher has recorded Amen, Because He Lives and the lyrics perfectly describe what it means to walk through life with the certain knowledge that Jesus has conquered death for us.


Amen, Because He Lives
I believe in the Son I believe in the Risen One
I believe I overcome By the power of His blood

Amen, Amen, I'm alive I'm alive because He lives
Amen, Amen, Let my song join the one that never ends
(Because He lives)

I was dead in the grave I was covered in sin and shame
I heard mercy call my name He rolled the stone away

Amen, Amen, I'm alive I'm alive because He lives
Amen, Amen, Let my song join the one that never ends

Because He lives I can face tomorrow
Because He lives ev'ry fear is gone
I know He holds my life My future in His hand

Amen, Amen, I'm alive I'm alive because He lives
Amen, Amen, Let my song join the one that never ends

Amen, Amen, I'm alive I'm alive because He lives
Amen, Amen, Let my song join the one that never ends
Because He lives, Because He lives
Chris Tomlin | Daniel Carson | Ed Cash | Gloria Gaither | Jason Ingram | Matt Maher | William J. Gaither
© 2014 S. D. G. Publishing (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
CCLI License # 551204

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door