With God I Shall Do Valiantly


Psalm 108
A Song. A Psalm of David.
1My heart is steadfast, O God! I will sing and make melody with all my being!
2Awake, O harp and lyre! I will awake the dawn!
3I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations.
4For your steadfast love is great above the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.
5Be exalted, O God, above the heavens! Let your glory be over all the earth!
6That your beloved ones may be delivered, give salvation by your right hand and answer me!
7God has promised in his holiness: “With exultation I will divide up Shechem and portion out the Valley of Succoth.
8Gilead is mine; Manasseh is mine; Ephraim is my helmet, Judah my scepter.
9Moab is my washbasin; upon Edom I cast my shoe; over Philistia I shout in triumph.”
10Who will bring me to the fortified city? Who will lead me to Edom?
11Have you not rejected us, O God? You do not go out, O God, with our armies.
12Oh grant us help against the foe, for vain is the salvation of man!
13With God we shall do valiantly; it is he who will tread down our foes.

This prayer, attributed to King David, is a compilation of Psalm 57 and 60. Except for verse 11, it is a pure expression of confidence in our Living, All-Powerful God. This psalm is a praise for God’s past acts of deliverance, a prayer for such deliverance in the future, and a statement of confidence in God’s help.

One thing we find throughout David’s story is his confidence in God. Yes, David made some mistakes but he never seems to lose his faith in God’s power and ability to save him. For me, verse 13 sums it up perfectly. With God we shall do valiantly; it is He who will tread down our foes. My imagination is captured by the word “valiantly”. What a great description of God’s people when they allow Him to be the one who treads down the foes. The mind wanders to the soldier on the battle field who epitomizes bravery and courage or a knight on horseback who rides forward despite overwhelming odds. We face overwhelming odds on a regular basis as the world, the devil, and our own flesh revolt against us. But God has conquered all our foes and we face our struggles valiantly, certain that the outcomes will always be as God ordains.

Today that phrase “with God I shall do valiantly” will circulate through my mind and heart. No matter what comes along, God has already dealt with it and I can be confident that all well be well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door