The Smallest Details



Psalm 119:73-80 – Yodh
74Those who fear you shall see me and rejoice, because I have hoped in your word.
75I know, O Lord, that your rules are righteous, and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me.
76Let your steadfast love comfort me according to your promise to your servant.
77Let your mercy come to me, that I may live; for your law is my delight.
78Let the insolent be put to shame, because they have wronged me with falsehood; as for me, I will meditate on your precepts.
79Let those who fear you turn to me, that they may know your testimonies.
80May my heart be blameless in your statutes, that I may not be put to shame!

The Hebrew letter used in this stanza of Psalm 119 is the Yodh, or as Jesus calls it in Matthew 5:18, an iota.

Matthew 5:18
For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

A yodh is a very small addition to any of the other Hebrew letters that would change the meaning or the complexion of the letter. While it is indeed a very small addition, it changes everything, for God is in the details. Some translations have changed this verse to reflect the English language by saying, “not the dotting of an ‘i’ or the crossing of a ‘t’ will pass . . .” God is all about the details.

With that said, these 8 verses are rich with things to ponder. This particular stanza reads more like the Proverbs than a cohesive thought. Each verse contains something to think about that may or may not correspond to the surrounding verses – at least that how it reads for me. The thread that seems to flow through them is, of course, adherence to God’s Word is the only way to go. That is true for all 176 verses of Psalm 119.

There are three verses that speak into my own life with power today. For you it may be others.

My Witness74Those who fear you shall see me and rejoice, because I have hoped in your word.
We are reminded throughout the Scriptures that what we do has far more impact than what we say. Today, because of the proliferation of social media and the NEWS we are inundated by words. Millions upon millions of words are coming at us daily. Have you heard any of the commercials on TV or even radio where the speakers voice is mechanically sped up so that they can get more information into a short window of time. It makes my head hurt. That barrage of words is too much to bear. And those words have little or no impact other than to make me turn them off. But show me a video of someone helping their neighbor and my attention is there, taking in what is happening. That has impact. Verse 74 reminds us that our neighbors are watching us to see what the Christian life looks like. When we live in accordance with God’s Word, He is lifted up and people take notice.

Chastisement75I know, O Lord, that your rules are righteous, and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me.
We usually don't stand up and says, “O yes, Lord, please discipline me today.” But that is just what this verse says! When God takes the time to allow struggle in our lives, we know we are loved by a Father who cares about us. That seems backwards, but if you have been raised by parents who care, you’ve been disciplined. That’s a part of raising a responsible adult. God loves us enough to allow affliction, for it is in affliction that we are refined.

What I Think About78Let the insolent be put to shame, because they have wronged me with falsehood; as for me, I will meditate on your precepts.
We’ve all been in situations where others have said things that bring us pain, or we know we have been spoken of in a less than flattering light. And it is so easy to perseverate on their words. Here the psalmist chooses instead to meditate on God’s Word instead of the crazy stuff other people say. It takes discipline, but is a far better usage of mental energy. It’s a sign of spiritual maturity and a far better life.

You may have different verses that captured your thoughts today and I would highly recommend going back over them and giving them some of your meditation. It will be time well spent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door