My Inheritance


Psalm 119:57-64 – Heth
57The Lord is my portion; I promise to keep your words.
58I have sought your face with all my heart; be gracious to me according to your promise.
59When I think on my ways, I turn my feet to your testimonies;
60I hasten and do not delay to keep your commandments.
61Though the cords of the wicked ensnare me, I do not forget your law.
62At midnight I rise to praise you, because of your righteous rules.
63I am a friend to all who fear you, to all who follow your precepts.
64The earth, O Lord, is full of your steadfast love; teach me your statutes!

Part of immersing myself in God’s Word each morning usually includes reading the passage in a few different translations. What appears above is an amalgamation of both – full disclosure. The first words of this stanza are what grabbed by attention and held on to it. I was intrigued by the notion that the Lord is “my portion”. What does that mean? For the ancient Hebrew, this would have been an important concept, and so it is for us as well.

חֵלֶק
That word “portion” refers to the portion of land each family was given as their own personal inheritance – the family farm. It was passed down from generation to generation, usually through the oldest male. It was of critical importance for it was on that farm that you were able to provide for the support of your family or tribe. It was there that the family home was built and there where you grew your crops and grazed your animals.

Then, throughout the rest of the stanza, that portion is tied inextricably to His Word. It is in His Word that learn we of Him and what He has for us – life itself. It is in learning His Word, His statutes, that I appropriate my inheritance. It is there that I learn of Him and His ways. Through His Word, I seek His face and escape the bonds of my enemies. It is in His Word that I learn of His amazing love and plan of salvation through Jesus Christ. He truly is my “portion”. I am rich indeed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door