The "House of Prayer" Attitude


Prayer: Gracious Lord God, I bless Your name. I join with all of the heavens to declare Your praise. Thank You for meeting me here today for meditation, adoration, study, worship, and edification. Please fill my heart and mind with thoughts of You and from You. Expand my understanding of Your Holy Word and build my faith. Increase my love for You and create in me a heart that seeks after You. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

Read: Matthew 21:12-17

Think about It: Somewhere along the line during the last few decades we have lost the value of reverence and respect. Perhaps it is merely misplaced nostalgia that causes us to believe things “were better back then.” Perhaps people have always been this way. Maybe that’s why Jesus had to remind the people in the temple 2,000 years ago that there were things that were appropriate in God’s house and things that were not. Maybe we could use a little bit of that same admonishment today.

As Jesus tips over the tables of the money changers and those who would sell sacrificial animals at a greatly inflated rate He reminds everyone within shouting distance that His Father’s house is supposed to be a place of prayer; a place where God’s people come and meet with Him. Reverence for God and respect for those trying to speak with Him should be preeminent in each person’s mind.

Isaiah 56:6-7 says, “And the foreigners who join themselves to the Lord, to minister to Him, to love the name of the Lord, and to be His servants, everyone who keeps the Sabbath and does not profane it, and holds fast my covenant —  these I will bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer; their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be accepted on my altar; for my house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples.” This is the passage that Jesus quotes as He drives off those who would use God’s house as a place of business or really anything else that doesn’t further His kingdom. Each of us may do well to examine our own hearts and minds each time we enter His house to see if we are there to seek Him and serve others, or are we there for self-serving motives that have nothing to do with worship and prayer.

Prayer: Dear Lord Jesus, please teach me how to enter Your house every time in the right frame of mind. Holy Spirit, please come and enable proper worship and an attitude of respect and awe as I bow down before You. Keep my heart centered on You and help me to  honor Your house of prayer. Heavenly Father, please receive the praises I bring with my whole heart and accept those praises from someone who loves You so very much. In Your name I pray. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door