Jesus' Authority


Prayer: Dear Lord Jesus, You have ordained praise. In Your greatness, You have commanded that we honor You with our worship and adoration. I bring that glory to You today. Fill my mouth with Your name, that I might declare Your greatness to all I meet. Thank You for saving me and for bringing me into Your kingdom. Help me to love You well and serve others because of You. In Your name I pray. Amen.

Read: John 18:1-9

Think about It: “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.” This phrase is found at least as early as 1872, where it is presented as advice in Tappy's Chicks by Mrs. George Cupples. Many of us were taught this line as children, encouraging us to remain calm when taunted with the words of another. But one of the most intriguing events of the Passion of Jesus comes during His arrest and three words that He speaks. When a battalion of soldiers come to take Jesus to the Sanhedrin, something happens that makes us scratch our heads and wonder what was going on. The focus verse our study for today is John 18:6. “When Jesus said, ‘I am He,’ they drew back and fell to the ground.” What would make a group of grown men fall to the ground over a three word sentence?!?

Of course, the fact that Jesus exudes authority is the answer. But did you know that this event was spoken of in the Old Testament? On three occasions, the idea of people falling to the ground in acknowledgment of the power of God is described. Each of them expand our understanding of this event and again display the complete story that God’s Word holds for us. Two of the verses are found in the Psalm, and one in Isaiah. Verse 2 in Psalm 27 that we have already studied this week contains the first one.
  • “When evildoers assail me to eat up my flesh, my adversaries and foes, it is they who stumble and fall.”
  • Next we see a similar example in Psalm 35:4. “May those who seek my life be disgraced and put to shame; may those who plot my ruin be turned back in dismay.”
  •  And finally we read Isaiah 11:4b. “He will strike the earth with the rod of His mouth; with the breath of His lips He will slay the wicked.”
The Old Testament writers portray and event where people will fall away in defeat by the mere use of words or breathe. This is authority. This is a God who alone has the power necessary to be our Savior. He is only One who can conquer our evil sin and take away its power to condemn us forever. Without that power from our Savior, we are doomed. But with the Word “I Am” Jesus establishes that He is God and He is able to administer the grace we need. It was prophesied in the Old Testament and born out in the Messiah, sent from the Father to accomplish our greatest need – salvation.

Prayer: Dear Lord God, please make me ever aware that You are strong enough to meet my every need, including my greatest need. Please help me to daily submit my life into Your hands and cause me to always look to You for my eternal joy with You. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door