Resurrection


Prayer: ”Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge. I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you.”  As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones, in whom is all my delight. The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance. I bless the Lord who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me. I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure.  For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption. You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.” [Psalm 16]

Read: 1 Corinthians 15:1-10
 
Think about It: The list of truly amazing events that take place on the pages of the Bible (and thus in reality) is long and filled with the fantastic. Who among us can fathom a 6 day creation, the Red Sea parting, a boy killing a giant with a stone, a man being swallowed by a big fish, a man living in a den of lions  overnight, men surviving a fiery furnace, 10 supernatural plagues, or someone walking on water! And this list is by no means exhaustive. The Bible is filled with startling stories of amazing events. While they are fascinating and bring us to a place of wonder, they don’t really change our lives right now, today; except for one.

Paul makes the case for the resurrection quite emphatically in today’s passage. It is important! Even in Jesus day, there were those who declared the resurrection to be a hoax or a lie. All kinds of conspiracy theories rose up, none of which could be sustained. The risen Jesus simply appeared to way too many witnesses for there to be any doubt whatsoever about His return. He held conversations, ate food, and even worked a few miracles.

The Resurrection of Christ stands as the pivotal event in all of human history. A Man rises from the dead without the help of another person. And this wasn’t just a resuscitation, only to see that Man die again a few years later (as happened with all the other people who were brought back from death in the Bible – they all died again.) No, He went on to ascend into heaven, where He is still today. Why does this Biblical miracle have more impact on me than all the others? Because Jesus promised that because He rose from the dead, so will I! Now it is more than just an interesting story. Now it has eternal impact for each one of us personally. So while a man swallowed by a big fish is intriguing and causes wonder in our hearts, it doesn’t really touch my life. But our personal resurrection from death – now that is worth some attention. And if Jesus wasn’t resurrected, we won’t be either. While Jonah was spit up onto the shore by the big fish without witnesses, Jesus’ resurrection was attested to by hundreds of people who saw Him with their own eyes.

Jesus’ resurrection was accomplished as His victory over death and that victory will be handed to each one of us as we meet Him face to face!

Prayer: Dear Heavenly Father, I believe with the early Church fathers, “that Jesus was buried, that He was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures, and that He appeared to Peter, then to the twelve.” Thank You for teaching me about Your resurrection and the power over my life that this    victory has won. Please help me to live out each day in the knowledge that Your resurrections brings me life and eternity with You. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door