Unshaken


Pray: Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge. I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you.

Read: Psalm 16

Think about It: The last 10-15 years have been tough. We have experienced natural disasters (Earthquakes, Hurricanes, and Tsunamis) of epic proportions. We have seen war and famine that bring feelings of horror and sorrow. We have witnessed as mass shootings have killed dozens of people at a time. The world watched as the World Trade Centers crumbled to the ground in a terrorist attack. And all of this happens right in our living rooms as the media brings it to us live. The overriding emotions are hard to describe. We are horrified, shocked, and shaken. It can take days and weeks (if ever) to get back to a place of normalcy after these tragic events occur. 

The One who is not shaken or shocked when these things happen is the Lord. He knows all that is coming and is present with us in the midst of the trial. But in our humanity we look upon the horizon and shudder in fear. What shall become of us? How will we stand? King David answers this question during a time when he too faced great struggle. Psalm 16 expresses the solution for those who know God; “I have set the Lord always before me.” King David knew that practicing the presence of God in the midst of the pain was the only way to survive. There is no other answer. 

The challenge comes in the timing. When things are at the worst is not the time to try and find the safety that is in the Lord. You will run to Him a panic and while He is there for you, it will be difficult to know that for certain, for fear keeps us from experiencing His reality. But keeping Him always in your mind is the answer. That way when things fall to pieces (and they always do) you are already in the presence of the God who can comfort, protect, and support you. When things fall apart you are already aware of His power and certain of His presence. David goes so far as to say that “I shall not be shaken!” That is huge. When all around you are panicked and scared, you can run to the Rock who will shelter you. The imagery of the Old Testament constantly points to God as the strong tower and the fortress to which we can run for protection and safety. The thing you need to know is the way to the Tower! Back in the 50’s those living in military areas had to know how to get to the bomb shelters. You had to know where they were in order to run to safety. You cannot run to a God you don’t know. Living with His presence in the times of calm will condition you and teach you so that you always know where to turn in good times and bad. 

Pray: The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance. I bless the Lord who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me. I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door