Write It Down



Prayer - Dear Lord, may Your name be praised on my lips today. Please honor me with the presence of Your Holy Spirit in this time of devotion that You might be praised and I might be edified. Inspire a greater faith in me that longs to love You better and serve others more because of You. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen. 

Read - 2 Thessalonians 3:16–18 
http://www.esvbible.org/2 Thessalonians 3:16-18 

Think about It - The Apostle Paul is credited with writing 13 of the 27 books of the New Testament (14 if you count Hebrews, which some do and some don't). But he probably didn't write most of them with his own hand. There has been speculation that he had a physical deformity that kept him from writing the words himself. That deformity could have been something like blindness or arthritis. Regardless, the words were his, but most of the time they were actually penned by a scribe. While Paul would dictate what to write down, someone else's hand actually put pen to paper. But at the end of his letter to the Thessalonians, he feels so adamantly about what he is saying he actually takes up the pen himself so that they may know how important his words are for them. Writing things down brings importance to them.

In 2013 we are fixated on electronic forms of communication. Personal letters were taken over by email, which has been taken over by text messaging and Facebook. But there is still something incredibly compelling about getting a real letter in the mail; something that has actually been  written by someone else where they took the time to put pen to paper. Our own words, written for our own edification can be just as compelling.

Even if you are person who "hates to write" (and there are many of you out there!) give journaling a try. You don't have to write a book (or even a chapter). Maybe you like bullet points! That's okay. Just get your thoughts on paper. You will be amazed later when you go back and look over those words to see what you were thinking on that day about a given passage of  Scripture or an event in your life. There is much to be learned as we journey with The Lord and chronicling that journey is a great way to learn! 

Prayer - "Incline your ear, O Lord, and answer me, for I am poor and needy. Preserve my life, for I am godly; save your servant, who trusts in you—you are my God. Be gracious to me, O Lord, for to you do I cry all the day. Gladden the soul of your servant, for to you, O Lord, do I lift up my soul. For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving, abounding in steadfast love to all who call upon you. Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer; listen to my plea for grace. In the day of my trouble I call upon you, for you answer me." (Psalm 86:1-7)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door