Discipline



Prayer:   In life no house, no home
My Lord on earth might have;
In death no friendly tomb
But what a stranger gave.
What may I say? Heav’n was His home
But mine the tomb wherein He lay.

Read: Matthew 28:1–10

Think about It: This devotional post goes up on Good Friday. If you have been tracking with this blog throughout the season, you have spent time thinking about many of the spiritual disciplines used by the faithful for the last 2,000 years. As we end this season of Lent for 2013, my heart is moved to pray for you.

Dear Lord God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Thank You for this season of Lent. Thank You for the opportunity to recall the Passion of Jesus as He paid the price for my sin. Thank You for the beauty of Your plan as I am redeemed from sin’s power to control my life. Thank You for salvation.

Please Lord, forgive the quickness with which I go my own way. Please forgive the power of my flesh to drag me into places I should not go. Please forgive me for listening to the voice of the evil one as he tries to entice me away from You and Your will. Please Lord, forgive me for following the ways of the world rather than the will of God.

You have graciously taught me about or reminded me of the spiritual  disciplines that can assist me in this walk of faith. Please remind me to practice the disciplines that best draw me closer to You and create in me a desire to pursue You through these disciplines. Thank You for  silence, prayer, Bible study, worship, and practicing Your presence. Help me to take advantage of these disciplines to learn how to love you better and serve others because of that love. As I complete this season of Lent in the celebration that is Resurrection Day, please help me to take these disciplines with me.

You are an awesome God and give me such good gifts. Please be praised on my lips and glorified in my actions as I continue to walk with You each and every moment of my life. In the name of my dear Savior, Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Prayer: Here might I stay and sing,
No story so divine!
Never was love, dear King,
Never was grief like Thine.
This is my friend, in whose sweet praise
I all my days could gladly spend!
Hymn: My Song Is Love Unknown . . . LSB 430

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door