Instruct



Pray: Dear Lord, How awesome is Your name in all the earth. How mighty is Your power to save. Thank You that the pathway of communication is always open between us and keep me ever mindful of Your presence in my life. Please help me to incline my ear and my heart in Your direction that Your way is my way. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

Read: Psalm 119:33-40

Think about It: How quickly our minds, hearts, and attentions are turned away from the ways of the Lord. Just as the toddler stumbles from one interesting bobble to another, so adults too can be enticed by the world and our own flesh to pursue endless fancies and idols. Our minds are constantly bombarded by the next new thought, often designed to drag us away from our first love – the Lord. But the psalmist has a remedy for that distractible spirit. 

Notice the verbiage at the beginning of verses 33-37. “Teach me”, “Give me”, “Direct me”, and “Turn me”. It is as if he is saying, “God, this needs to be done, but I don’t have the strength or the power to do it.” The writer is humble and his utter dependence on God is shining through. God Himself must interpret His own revelation to us. He is also the only One who can provide the direction and motivation that we must have in order to do God’s will. 

The oft quoted and much studied words of Paul in Romans 12:1-2 are again inspirational as we seek to be obedient to what we read in Psalm 119. “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” We are in need of transformation! This is accomplished by time in the Word, allowing it to change us at our very center. As the psalmist notes toward the end of this stanza, (verses 38-40) we find that the Law of God (and in our case, the entirety of the Bible) is the source of this transformation.

Pray: Thy Word
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path

When I feel afraid, think I've lost my way Still,
You're there right beside me
Nothing will I fear, as long as you are near
Please be near me to the end.

I will not forget, your love for me and yet
My heart forever is wandering
Jesus be my guide, hold me to your side
I will love you to the end
Amy Grant | Michael W. Smith ©1984 Meadowgreen Music Company CCLI #551204

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door