Restored Gift



Pray: Dear Lord, I know that You have given me this wonderful gift in Your Word. Please help me to submit myself to You alone as my life is ever changed by Your power. May Your Word speak truth into my heart and bring about the transformations You desire within me. You are a wonderful God and have given us an amazing gift in Your Word. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

Read: 2 Kings 22:8–23:3

Think about It: In Deuteronomy 18:18-20, we see that God holds His Word as vitally important to the health and well-being of His people. He prizes this Word so much that the ruler of the country was to copy the book of Deuteronomy in his own hand in order to keep the Word close to his heart and allow it impact how he ruled his people. Imagine how life must have been for God’s people a few centuries later when the Word has almost completely disappeared. One day, while in the midst of a construction project, a copy of Deuteronomy is found and when it is read to the king, he tears his clothes in mourning and repentance. He is struck to the core with the importance of what has been read to him! He brings about an immediate change in the lives of his subjects, demanding that they return to the ways of God as outlined in His Word. The changes in the country are so dramatic that for the duration of his reign, God’s favor returns to the people because they listen to the Word and lay aside their idols. Repentance for the sins of the past and the sins of the community are offered up to God. Unfortunately, the changes were largely cosmetic for the people and the next king disregarded the new commitment to the Lord. The people return to their idols. 

How often do we view God’s Word as the tremendous gift that it is to us? While we have not lost the Word, we are so surrounded by it that we have become blasé about it and that is just as bad. What will it take for us to become excited about what God has to say to us again? Perhaps our first prayer needs to be, “Lord, please help me to hunger after You. Show me who You are as You have revealed Yourself in the Word.” While that prayer might be challenging, it may also move us closer to God’s will for us and make us available to Him again.

Pray: Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes; and I will keep it to the end.
Give me understanding, that I may keep your law
And observe it with my whole heart.
Lead me in the path of your commandments, for I delight in it.
Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!
Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things;
And give me life in your ways.
Confirm to your servant your promise, that you may be feared.
Turn away the reproach that I dread, for your rules are good.
Behold, I long for your precepts; in your righteousness give me life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door