It’s Not All Good News


Matthew 24:9-14
9“Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and put you to death, and you will be hated by all nations for my name’s sake.
10And then many will fall away and betray one another and hate one another.
11And many false prophets will arise and lead many astray.
12And because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold.
13But the one who endures to the end will be saved.
14And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

As Jesus prepares for His own suffering and death so too He prepares His disciples for what the immediate future holds for them as well and it’s not good news. Living in the Kingdom of God this side of heaven is not the easy path. It is a joyful path; a fruitful path; a rewarding path. But it is not easy. Within a few years of Jesus’ death, many of the 12 would also be killed for the Gospel. The only disciple who died of old age was John, the brother of James. And even though he lived to be quite old, his life was certainly not easy. He was imprisoned, beaten, and exiled at various times throughout his life. As he lived into old age he became a source of wisdom, comfort, and strength to the growing church.

No one gratefully chooses the difficult road but many willingly choose it. We see examples of people who are willing to sacrifice their own wants for the needs of another; the soldier who dies saving his comrades, the parents who sacrifice so that their children can have a college education, the teacher who works to raise the prospects of his/her students despite low pay and hassles. We admire these people and rightly hold them up as role models. In that list is also the person who lives for Christ, surrendering their own comfort so that others might hear the Gospel. This is who Jesus is talking about in these Words for today. We may be called upon to surrender more than just our comfort. While we may be asked to surrender everything for Jesus’ sake I fear that most are unprepared to answer that call. And let me just borrow a line from Martin Luther here: “Chief of sinners, though I be”. So far, I have not been called upon to give up my cushy life in order to win souls for Jesus. And while I hope I would rise to the call, I cannot be 100% sure I would do so graciously. This is not an expression of doubt in God and His abilities it is an expression of doubt in my own.

Father, I know that life here on earth can be difficult. I pray that You would strengthen my resolve to live for You and that I would learn to set aside my own comfort for the sake of Your Gospel. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door