New Year's Day 2016

Psalm 119:25-32
25My soul clings to the dust; give me life according to Your Word!
26When I told of my ways, You answered me; teach me Your statutes!
27Make me understand the way of Your precepts, and I will meditate on Your wondrous works.
28My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to Your Word!
29Put false ways far from me and graciously teach me Your law!
30I have chosen the way of faithfulness; I set Your rules before me.
31I cling to Your testimonies, O LORD; let me not be put to shame!
32I will run in the way of Your commandments when You enlarge my heart!

Today we were slated to meditate on Psalm 44. As I read it over this morning I just knew that this was not the right Psalm to start a new year. So instead we examine a portion of Psalm 119, that very long and wonderful opus that expounds the benefits and joys of being a student of God's Word. And it is appropriate that we think on this topic here in this venue for that is what this blog is all about - the joys of studying God's Word.

New Year's Day is typically when people rethink their lives and commit or recommit to some better habits. I heard on the news yesterday that the number one resolution of people this year is "to be a better person." I just have to say that seems like the perfect resolution because you can't fail at something that has no way to be measured or quantified. And what exactly does that mean, "to be a better person?" The answer to that could be anywhere between "I won't be late to work as often" to "I'll try not to kill people this year."

I suggest we turn to God's Word instead, asking Him to "give me life according to Your Word" or "Teach me Your statutes!" Both of those seem like positive goals because God is the Author and performer of those tasks. He always succeeds and He always follows through. There will be no failure. He won't put aside these resolutions by February 1 (or January 5!) For us, we can resolve to "set His rules before us" and "chose the way of faithfulness". Those are positive resolutions, worthy of some effort. And ironically, they are marvelous ways to "become a better person".

So, thanks for reading this blog. Thanks for faithfully showing up each day to share the Word and hear God's voice. Sometimes is boring, sometimes is difficult but it is always worthwhile. Blessing in 2016.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door