Focused or Distracted


Philippians 3:12–4:1
12Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. 13Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, 14I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. 15Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you. 16Only let us hold true to what we have attained. 17Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us. 18For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. 19Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things. 20But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself. 4:1Therefore, my brothers, whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm thus in the Lord, my beloved.

Men seem to love a great sports metaphor and Paul uses a great one as he describes the Christian life to the Philippians. During the first century AD sports were a major component of life just as they are today. Our own Olympics were born out of the human love for competition and Olympic history goes back to 700BC! Before I continue, let me share that I am not one of those humans. Competition just isn’t a part of my life. But I get it that this is important to others and I’ll try not to hold you in derision for it. :)

Imagine for a moment that you’re running a race or even just running. Do you move more efficiently looking forward or backward? Not watching where you’re going is a dangerous trick. Paul encourages us to keep our eyes on the finish line instead of being distracted by what is to the left, right, or behind. But the world contains a seemingly endless supply of distractions that seek to drag us in another direction. First century believers were no different than us. They too had plenty of worldly attractions that would call their name. And if you are pursuing something other than Jesus as your final goal, you’re derailed. There’s the challenge in this passage. As I examine my own daily walk, I need to be honest about what is more attractive to me than Jesus. That self-examination can be a little painful because it reveals idolatries in our life.

But what prize could be more worthy than an eternity spent in the presence of our Savior? Nothing this world has to offer could come close. Paul’s encouragement to hold that prize closely is well taken and this passage serves to drag our attention back on the important, allowing the ordinary to slide by.

Dear Lord Jesus, I cannot even imagine how great is the prize that comes at the end of this race. But I am easily distracted and my affections can be dragged away from a firm focus on You alone. Please strengthen my resolve to run this earthly race with you ever in my sights. When the world calls my name, please send Your Spirit to reclaim my attention and center me back on Your work and Your will. In Your name, dear Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door