Divine Partnership

Psalm 127
1Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain.
2It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep.
3Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward.
4Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth.
5Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.

For reasons I will never understand this side of the veil, God has chosen to work in partnership with us. He most certainly wouldn’t have to do that. He managed to build an entire universe, our earth, and our very selves without any assistance from us whatsoever. But once we were here, He entered into partnership with us. Adam and Eve were charged with working in the Garden and subduing the earth and thus began God’s efforts alongside of His creation.

When you go out into your own garden, you are doing that which God commissioned our First Parents to do. Your hands in the dirt, dropping in those seeds is a simple example of fulfilling that command. But we can never see ourselves as the sole provider of the fruits that are born of those efforts. Many years ago, I volunteered to help a pastor-friend of mine write the worship services for a stewardship series. When I sat down to begin the thinking process, I began with prayer, as is my habit and started that prayer with the words, “Well Lord, I volunteered you for something else.” I am absolutely certain I heard God laugh. I knew that there was no way I could complete that project without His help and He knew it too. God has been my source for so many projects throughout the years I wouldn’t even be able to name them all. I believe that is what Solomon (the author of this psalm) was talking about as he reminds us that there is nothing we can do separate from the Lord.

The jump to a discussion of the blessings of children is a natural expression of the same thought. Every child is a gift from God to the family and vital to the furthering of God’s Kingdom and that aspect of dominance given to Adam and Eve. As He people walk up to Jerusalem to practice their faith, they are reminded of their partnership with Him through this prayer of thanksgiving and praise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door