Hierarchy

Hebrews 1:5-14
5For to which of the angels did God ever say, “You are my Son, today I have begotten you”? Or again, “I will be to him a father, and he shall be to me a son”? 6And again, when he brings the firstborn into the world, he says, “Let all God’s angels worship him.” 7Of the angels he says, “He makes his angels winds, and his ministers a flame of fire.” 8But of the Son he says, “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever, the scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your kingdom. 9You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness beyond your companions.” 10And, “You, Lord, laid the foundation of the earth in the beginning, and the heavens are the work of your hands; 11they will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment, 12like a robe you will roll them up, like a garment they will be changed. But you are the same, and your years will have no end.” 13And to which of the angels has he ever said, “Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet”? 14Are they not all ministering spirits sent out to serve for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation?

Since the book of Hebrews is completely focused on Jesus Christ as the center of all things, the writer takes a moment to establish exactly who Jesus is in relation to the Father, the angels, and to humanity. We know that Jesus was present with the Father at Creation. So, He is not a created being like the angels and we are. He was “begotten” as a human; “begotten, not made” as we say in the Creed. Isaiah corroborates this concept with his prophetic words. The “Son is given” because He already was. He is handed over into humanity.
Isaiah 9:6-7
6For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 7Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will do this.

This passage from Hebrews now establishes just who Jesus is; He is the Son of God – not a created human or an angel in new form. He is God – 100%.

In these verses we find seven quotes about the Son that are arranged in the like a posy of picked flowers for the purpose of memorization and recall. Such chains of quotations were called “florilegia” in classical antiquity, that is “posies,” since they were arranged like a posy of picked flowers.
Kleinig, J. W. ©2017. Hebrews. (C. P. Giese, Ed.). Saint Louis, MO: CPH.

The writer of Hebrews is drawing together the preincarnate Christ of Creation with the promise of an eternal King to David, along with the incarnation of the Holy Infant at His birth as a human.

2 Samuel 7:11b-17
11Moreover, the Lord declares to you that the Lord will make you a house. 12When your days are fulfilled and you lie down with your fathers, I will raise up your offspring after you, who shall come from your body, and I will establish his kingdom. 13He shall build a house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. 14I will be to him a father, and he shall be to me a son. When he commits iniquity, I will discipline him with the rod of men, with the stripes of the sons of men, 15but my steadfast love will not depart from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away from before you. 16And your house and your kingdom shall be made sure forever before me. Your throne shall be established forever.’” 17In accordance with all these words, and in accordance with all this vision, Nathan spoke to David.

Even as I think about all those connections, I am made aware of why I think Hebrews is a difficult read. The author draws upon the entirety of Scripture and all those threads flow through the mind, begging to be tied together. And they are – in the Person of Jesus Christ, who is the same, yesterday, today, and tomorrow. When I read Hebrews, it feels like I’m trying to gather up the contents of a feather pillow as the ideas drift and float around the room. Just as I have a fist full of feathers, a wind comes along, and they scatter again, only to be reassembled in a more meaningful pile – over and over again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door