Challenge


Psalm 26
Of David.
1Vindicate me, O Lord, for I have walked in my integrity, and I have trusted in the Lord without wavering.
2Prove me, O Lord, and try me; test my heart and my mind.
3For your steadfast love is before my eyes, and I walk in your faithfulness.
4I do not sit with men of falsehood, nor do I consort with hypocrites.
5I hate the assembly of evildoers, and I will not sit with the wicked.
6I wash my hands in innocence and go around your altar, O Lord,
7proclaiming thanksgiving aloud, and telling all your wondrous deeds.
8O Lord, I love the habitation of your house and the place where your glory dwells.
9Do not sweep my soul away with sinners, nor my life with bloodthirsty men,
10in whose hands are evil devices, and whose right hands are full of bribes.
11But as for me, I shall walk in my integrity; redeem me, and be gracious to me.
12My foot stands on level ground; in the great assembly I will bless the Lord.

The Scriptures always challenges us to rethink ourselves, our faith, and our lives with God and each other. This Psalm seems to fall into that challenging category from the first word – vindicate. Vindicate is followed closely by “integrity”, “trusted” and “test”. For me, this psalm doesn’t bring comfort – it brings challenge.

David stands before God and begs for escape from the plans of his enemies. He declares his faithfulness to God and almost stands in challenge before God Himself. David feels his cause is just and his request worthy. David doesn’t declare himself sinless. That would be a lie and David knows it. But he does speak about his love and faithfulness toward God. Just because he is a sinner doesn’t negate his claim to a relationship with God. David knows that God will bring righteousness through a Messiah and he is already calling on that truth to support his cries. David also speaks of his attempts to live as God calls, still not claiming to have done so perfectly.

The honesty with which David approaches God is startling for us. He even goes so far as to ask God to test him! I can barely read those words without trepidation. I doubt if I’m going to willingly get into the line labeled “test me God.” But David is so sure of his faith and of his right standing before God that he can surrender himself to God’s test. That’s admirable – a little crazy but admirable.

These words speak to an honest relationship with God. David doesn’t declare himself innocent. He declares himself faithful. With that understanding, I too can stand before God and declare myself faithful because Jesus has cleared the path for that faithfulness by dying because of my sin. In Him I do stand righteous before God and with the power of Holy Spirit I can say “test my heart and mind.” Although I have to confess that even as I type those words there’s a little tingle of fear. I still don’t want to be tested! But, I will stand firm with David today in the words of this psalm and try to “walk in my integrity.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door