For A Purpose


John 15:1-17
1“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. 2Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. 4Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. 5I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 6If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. 7If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. 9As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. 10If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. 11These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. 12“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. 14You are my friends if you do what I command you. 15No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you. 16You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. 17These things I command you, so that you will love one another.

Before His death and resurrection, Jesus has much to say to the Disciples. Yes He will be leaving them and sending the Holy Spirit. But in the days before His saving work is finished He instructs the Disciples and prepares them for the life of Gospel spreading that is before them. One of His most enigmatic pictures is that of the Vineyard. It is a beautiful image for it is peaceful, fruitful, and purposeful. There is also the drama of the pruning and tending that the Vine Dresser does for His prized vines. He does not leave the vines to grow wild and untamed for then they fall into uselessness. The picture captures our attention and our imaginations.

The analogies are fairly simple and clear. Jesus calls Himself the Vine and the Father the Vinedresser. We are the branches. It was upon studying this passage years ago that I came to a rather stark realization. The branches don’t do much. Their only job is to “hold” the fruit. They aren’t responsible for creating the fruit or even harvesting it. All they do is hold it. The Vinedresser creates an atmosphere where fruit production is even possible. The Vine holds up the entire enterprise and it is the work of the sap (The Holy Spirit) flowing through the vines that creates the fruit. The Vinedresser eliminates those branches that are nonproductive and nurtures those that are. That nurturing may include some pruning – and that might hurt. Things that hurt aren’t always bad for us. I still go to the dentist and sometimes it hurts. But I guess that’s better than infections and missing teeth. But it’s the work of the Branches that is interesting, for that is our work. We are mere vessels of what the Lord wants to do in us. The Holy Spirit creates amazing things in and through us; things that the Father can harvest. The branch doesn’t “invite” the sap to move through it for the branch is never in control. And yet luscious fruit hangs from the branch and that fruit brings blessing. You have to admit, it’s a great position to hold; connected to the Vine and the bearer of God’s will. That’s awesome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door