Fallen Down Before Jesus


John 18:1-14
1When Jesus had spoken these words, he went out with his disciples across the brook Kidron, where there was a garden, which he and his disciples entered. 2Now Judas, who betrayed him, also knew the place, for Jesus often met there with his disciples. 3So Judas, having procured a band of soldiers and some officers from the chief priests and the Pharisees, went there with lanterns and torches and weapons. 4Then Jesus, knowing all that would happen to him, came forward and said to them, “Whom do you seek?” 5They answered him, “Jesus of Nazareth.” Jesus said to them, “I am he.” Judas, who betrayed him, was standing with them. 6When Jesus said to them, “I am he,” they drew back and fell to the ground. 7So he asked them again, “Whom do you seek?” And they said, “Jesus of Nazareth.” 8Jesus answered, “I told you that I am he. So, if you seek me, let these men go.” 9This was to fulfill the word that he had spoken: “Of those whom you gave me I have lost not one.” 10Then Simon Peter, having a sword, drew it and struck the high priest’s servant and cut off his right ear. (The servant’s name was Malchus.) 11So Jesus said to Peter, “Put your sword into its sheath; shall I not drink the cup that the Father has given me?” 12So the band of soldiers and their captain and the officers of the Jews arrested Jesus and bound him. 13First they led him to Annas, for he was the father-in-law of Caiaphas, who was high priest that year. 14It was Caiaphas who had advised the Jews that it would be expedient that one man should die for the people.

John’s record of the arrest of Jesus includes details that do not appear in the other Gospels. It also leaves out details that seem important to us. John makes no mention of the excruciating time of prayer that Jesus spends before the arrest. Had I fallen asleep when my best friend really needed me I might not want to dwell on that either. The detail that John does share involves the soldiers who came to arrest Jesus. I find this a truly interesting fact that points not only to the grace and mercy of Jesus but also to His ultimate authority and power.

When Judas arrives with the soldiers in tow, Jesus enters into a brief conversation, asking them to identify who they are looking for. When He acknowledges that He is the one they seek with the words, “I am He” they all fall to the ground. Even as they come to arrest Him there is a moment in time where they are forced to recognize His deity. He is God and they have to fall to the ground in worship and awe. The text doesn’t clarify this, but I have long believed that Judas too falls to the ground before Him. Even in this moment of humiliation, Jesus is Lord and receives the proper honor due His name. I love this part of the story. Later on, when sitting with the rest of the Disciples I would have had to review this scene over and over as the stories of Jesus were retold.

Years ago I learned of a lifestyle attitude, if you will, that is born of this moment. It is about the internal attitude of the heart that you can carry with you all day long. Perhaps you cannot be down on your face before the Lord all day, as you wash dishes, do your job, or chase your kids. But in your heart, in that private place of solitude, you can see yourself bowed before the almighty Savior. It takes a great deal of practice and I admit to failure most of the day. But when life becomes a little crazy and all the “stuff” becomes overwhelming, it is a joy to be able to retreat inward to that place of humble submission before the feet of Jesus. The Spirit restores that peace that only He can bring and you know that you have arrived at your true home. That peace then follows you into the rest of the day. If you lose sight of your Lord, simply retreat back into that worship filled space. This practice has saved me on more than one occasion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door