Let God Do It


Psalm 28
Of David.
1To you, O Lord, I call; my rock, be not deaf to me, lest, if you be silent to me, I become like those who go down to the pit.
2Hear the voice of my pleas for mercy, when I cry to you for help, when I lift up my hands toward your most holy sanctuary.
3Do not drag me off with the wicked, with the workers of evil, who speak peace with their neighbors while evil is in their hearts.
4Give to them according to their work and according to the evil of their deeds; give to them according to the work of their hands; render them their due reward.
5Because they do not regard the works of the Lord or the work of his hands, he will tear them down and build them up no more.
6Blessed be the Lord! For he has heard the voice of my pleas for mercy.
7The Lord is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him.
8The Lord is the strength of his people; he is the saving refuge of his anointed.
9Oh, save your people and bless your heritage! Be their shepherd and carry them forever.

When things go badly it is so very tempting to plot your revenge. Our minds become a playground for Satan as we think through things we want to say or plans we want to execute, with execute being the operative word. But here in Psalm 28 we find David once again putting forth a better model. He cries out to God with in his need for protection and vengeance.

With the first few words we are drawn into a sense of his desperation. Whatever the situation he feels trapped by evil men and their ways. But instead of plotting his own evil actions he immediately surrenders the whole circumstance into God’s hands. This is the act of man who walks closely with God. I might have had to spend a few more words describing to God exactly what I want to do to my enemies. And there’s the difference. David makes suggestions to God about the disposal of his enemies, but he leaves them in God’s hands. The satisfaction of seeing them disposed of does not belong to him and he surrenders that experience. That’s a big step.

Finally, David returns to his praise for God and leaves the matter in His hands. While the beginning of the psalm seems so personal David acts as a great king and returns his thoughts to the people he serves, asking God to care for them. In 9 short verses we see spiritual maturity and faith in action. This is an awesome Psalm to pray through when you are troubled by the actions of others. It is a wonderful example of allowing God to be God and surrendering yourself into His will rather than demanding your own. But it also acknowledges real pain. The world can be ugly because of sin and the devil. But even in the midst of the ugly, God still reigns. Praying this psalm in the midst of struggle serves to remind us of that truth and still beg God for action. It is our position as His children that allows for that place of honor in His presence, free to ask whatever we will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excusez-moi

יהוה שָׁמַר--Yahweh Shamar (God Watches)

Narrow Door